News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW? 440 SixPack complete engine

Started by RuNvS69, June 30, 2012, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RuNvS69

Question for you all:

What would be a fair price to ask for a running 440 sixpack engine with unknown specs? 

I bought this particular '70 Charger with what I was told is a "fully rebuilt" 1971 440 longblock with a six pack setup on top.  There is nothing wrong with the motor and it drives like a dream (I decided to rebuild the center carb due to a leaky fuel bowl gasket)--  BUT I bought this car with the intention of using a 1968 440 longblock that I personally just had fully rebuilt at a machine shop (I'm prepping for a blower setup).

Here is all I know about this engine without tearing it apart:

1971 block
1971 sixpack Iron manifold
915 heads!
New air cleaner setup (w/ K&N filter)
No idle solenoid
Deep sump pan

I'm not out to rip anyone off and this motor could possibly have some nice internals.  I just don't see the point in tearing apart a perfectly good working engine.

Thoughts on a possible price range?  I figure a buyer would want to go for a spin in the car before buying the engine.

Thanks for your help!
1970 Charger 500 - 440 (Fast5)
1970 Charger - 318 (SOLD)
1969 Charger SE - 440 (SOLD)
1970 Charger 500 - 383 (SOLD)

RuNvS69

b5blue

1-2K in this market? (Heads and iron intake hold the price down some.)

RuNvS69

It's a sign of the times I suppose...

Might be worth just selling the six pack setup and heads on ebay and keeping the shortblock for a future project.

c00nhunterjoe

Scaregrabber

The six pack setup is worth $2k by itself. If it runs well, I'd just leave it in there myself.

Sheldon

AirborneSilva

It's completely worthless, give me your address and I'll come get it from you so you don't have to bother with it....

Seriously, I'm with Sheldon - just leave it in....

Troy

Are they original carbs or no?

Without looking in the motor or having more information on what's in it I'd say you're going to be on the low side - maybe $1,200-1,800 - unless you offer some sort of warranty/guarantee. It's a used engine which may or may not need rebuilt before long. Who can tell? If the carbs are originals then the Six Pack setup is likely worth more than the rest of it. The 915 heads (which are certainly not original to a 1971 engine) could be worth some cash - as long as they haven't been ported or milled to death. Again, hard to tell with them installed. No, you can't build a strong running engine with those parts for that amount of money. BUT, as a buyer, you know what you're getting when you build one. That counts for something. If the car is drivable I'd enjoy it until the other motor is completely finished and ready to install. I hate having my cars inoperable during driving season!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RuNvS69

That's great advice everyone-- Thank you!

Yeah I can definitely understand how a buyer would feel without truly knowing what's inside.  It's a weird position to be in where it runs perfectly and I'd hate to bust it open... but at the same time I'd like to know even for my own knowledge!

I'll at least pop the air cleaner off and take note of the carb(s) and intake #'s just so I've got a better idea what's on top.  It's prime driving season right now so I certainly don't want to have the car sitting in the garage just yet.

@c00nhunterjoe--I'm in southern New Hampshire