News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any good repro armrests out there?

Started by Dino, June 20, 2012, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

My rear armrests are fine but the fronts are in need of replacing, at least the driver's side is.

Any good repros out there or should I look for good used ones?  It's a driver soit not only needs to look good, it has to be soft like the originals.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68blue

I've repaired the cracks in mine with PVC pipe cement and then repainted them. The splits were about 1/8" wide.

Dino

Quote from: 68blue on June 20, 2012, 06:46:41 PM

I've repaired the cracks in mine with PVC pipe cement and then repainted them. The splits were about 1/8" wide.

That's what I may do with my upper pads unless I find the same grain vinyl so I can recover them.  Alas my driver's side pad is missing a large chunk of foam and someone wrapped another piece of vinyl over it.  It's beyond saving at this point.

Are you planning on dying them Dino ?

Dino

Quote from: 440 on June 20, 2012, 07:14:40 PM
Are you planning on dying them Dino ?

I will most likely end up with a black interior so I would preffer to have them black but I wouldn't mind dying a set of used armrests.  I'll be dying a lot in that car including the rear armrests.

If I go with a black interior, all I really need are the seat covers, carpet, package tray and headliner.  My doorpanels have very minimal tears and can be easily fixed.

Repro armrests only come in black.

Food for thought - A word from the interior guy who did my car and who does many higher end interiors. There is something about all repro armrests that they don't like to be dyed, originals aren't a problem. so if your planning on dying them I suggest a good original, or having them reskinned. Not saying they can't be done, but will require more work. He experimented with mine by first coating them with something that's not normally used in coloring , I couldn't tell you what it was as I forgot. He's never done it before so I'm the guinea pig.

I bought BEA's armrests btw.

A383Wing

Quote from: 440 on June 20, 2012, 07:38:08 PM
Repro armrests only come in black.

no, they don't....I bought a set of white ones a few years ago....

I don't like them....they are hard as a brick....

Bryan

In that case only good armrests come in black.   :lol:

Dino

440 I take it yours are soft and supple like the originals?

Yeah Dino, that was one of the things Mike emphasized was that his were the softest on the market. They are quite nice.