News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Products to PRESERVE interiors

Started by Ghoste, June 14, 2012, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

All kinds of products to clean and make shiny, and no shortage of products which claim to preseve interiors either.  But are there any that are actually looking like they the calim are true?  The preserving thing seems to be a relatively new one as far as I know so maybe there hasn't been enough time yet to evaluate them anyway?

Dino

For leather they do work yes, you have to keep it supple and there's a few good products out there to do just that.

For vinyl I doubt it matters.  Best thing you can do is prevent the vinyl from getting real hot so it won't crack but that's much easier said than done seeing these cars are out mostly when it's nice and hot out.

I would minimize the checmicals used on interiors and just use soapy water to clean.  It's like chrome, people think they need chrome polish to clean it while it actually is intended to revive lackluster chrome.  On good chrome all you do is make it thinner and worn faster.  Soap and water rules!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

doctor4766

Another basic thing that you can do is tint the windows. That will help protect your interior whilst keeping the car cooler, so it's more of a preventative solution.
Believe me when I tell you that when I get an older car in my shop to have it's old "expired" film replaced, the condition of the seats and rear parcel shelf are usually in much better condition than same aged cars that have never had film in the first place. Quite often the tops of the rear seats are faded badly or cracked and falling to pieces.
And you don't need to have dark film to get the protection. Even the lightest tints can provide more than 99% UV rejection.

For those who don't want the look of tint, there are also some near on clear films that will cut 55% heat, more than 99% UV, but still let through 88% visible light.

Gotta love a '69

Fred

I find there's no better product than 303 Aerospace. It works on all interior plus tyres.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger Downunder

Quote from: Fred on June 14, 2012, 10:43:12 PM
I find there's no better product than 303 Aerospace. It works on all interior plus tyres.  :Twocents:
Second that good stuff
[/quote]

johnnycharger

I really like the Surf City garage stuff. I have used it on my vinyl back seat and it softened it up just as advertised. I am a big fan. :Twocents:

resq302

Ive had fantastic luck with Meguiar's #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner and conditioner.  I also follow it up with their #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and conditioner.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2012, 10:02:43 AM
All kinds of products to clean and make shiny, and no shortage of products which claim to preseve interiors either.  But are there any that are actually looking like they the calim are true?  The preserving thing seems to be a relatively new one as far as I know so maybe there hasn't been enough time yet to evaluate them anyway?

A climate controlled garage with no windows for uv rays to enter. :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

Quote from: resq302 on June 15, 2012, 08:50:53 AM
Ive had fantastic luck with Meguiar's #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner and conditioner.  I also follow it up with their #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and conditioner.

+1

Fred

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 15, 2012, 11:04:45 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2012, 10:02:43 AM

A climate controlled garage with no windows for uv rays to enter. :icon_smile_big:

And remember not to take it out!

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 14, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
Ive been using Mothers VLR with good results

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06524.html

I like Mothers as well but then I'm am amsoil dealer (they sell Mothers products), so I may be bias.  I have used 303 and like that too....

ODZKing

I'm curious about the 303 stuff.  Does it leave kind of a slippery film as many vinyl treatments do?
I'm thinking mostly seat applications.  Some of the other brands when you put it on the seats, you need your seat belt or you slide onto the floor.   :rofl:

AirborneSilva

Quote from: ODZKing on June 19, 2012, 09:37:29 AM
I'm curious about the 303 stuff.  Does it leave kind of a slippery film as many vinyl treatments do?
I'm thinking mostly seat applications.  Some of the other brands when you put it on the seats, you need your seat belt or you slide onto the floor.   :rofl:

Don't remember it being slippery  :shruggy:

resq302

When I used he 303 stuff on my tonneau cover on my truck, it was somewhat greasy and attracted all the dirt and crap.  It also left streaks down the side of my truck when the rain came and it got washed off.  The Meguiar's product does not do that for either case.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ODZKing

Thanks Brian, that is EXACTLY what i was getting at.   :yesnod:

AirborneSilva

I use the Mothers on my Ram and it's not greasy at all

charger Downunder

Quote from: resq302 on June 19, 2012, 01:26:52 PM
When I used he 303 stuff on my tonneau cover on my truck, it was somewhat greasy and attracted all the dirt and crap.  It also left streaks down the side of my truck when the rain came and it got washed off.  The Meguiar's product does not do that for either case.

What i do is aply it one night and then rub over it with a cloth the next day to remove excess so it wont run when wet and it leaves a nice flat non shiney finish.
[/quote]

DC_1

I use the rubber and vinyl cleaner from Auto Glym

They have some great products.

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-quickselectorCar.asp

Bob T

An upholsterer guy I know recomended Johnsons Baby oil years ago, seems to work fine on seats and dashes, comes up nice with a buff and second application a week or so later, wont rot stitching, used it in quite a few of my cars , cheap as chips from the supermarket too
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

A vote here for "303"

It was recommended to me by the mob who redid my interior.

At any rate stay away from silicone products.

Fred

Quote from: 440 on June 20, 2012, 04:31:55 AM
A vote here for "303"

It was recommended to me by the mob who redid my interior.

At any rate stay away from silicone products.

:iagree: