News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need 69 Charger disc brake advise please...

Started by tcs69rt, June 21, 2012, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

So, I have a 69 RT with the original 4-piston Bendix calipers. Passenger side caliper is leaking when I tried to bleed the system after installing the new booster & master cylinder, rubber lines, steel caliper lines, inner & outer wheel bearings.

Nobody (Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA or Classic Industries) can get me 69 calipers and prices on them run $41 - $167 per caliper. Talking to friends who tell me to convert to 1970 brakes for $450 - $600, but I don't want to pay for all the new booster with master cylinder, bearings and lines that I have already purchased before the leaking caliper. Can I just bolt on 70 calipers, rotor and a different backing plate? Can I still use my 69 spindles? Suggestions??? Thanks!  TC

Anyone got a spare Bendix caliper to sell?
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

hemi71x

Whoever told you that you can get Bendix 4 piston calipers for those prices are full of schlitz.
Now-a-days, a rebuilt, sleeved, pair of calipers run in the $600.00 + dollar range.

And no, Bendix brakes are a totally different animal than any other brake system that Mopar had.
Nothing interchanges.

You do a conversion with 100% of the parts from another donor vehicle.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

hemi71x

You will have a coronary when i tell you what i got for this 100%, all there, original, Bendix brake system that i rebuilt that came off a 69 Hemi Charger, back in the day.
Sold the complete set up earlier during the year for $1,700.00 to a guy down in southern California.

Buy yourself a rebuild kit from Rock Auto.
They are available now a days from them, and i think they run $65.00 each.
Just hope the bores in your calipers don't need to be sleeved, then your gonna be paying the big bucks to get them done.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

tcs69rt

Thanks for the reply! I wnet to Kadena in 86 and we had F-4's but I'm sure you know the story about that Squadron. Thanks. TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."