News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mufflers and Dumps

Started by my73charger, May 21, 2012, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

I have a performance question.  If you plan to put dumps on your exhaust, does it really matter what kind of muffler you use performance wise?  The reason I ask is I plan to do just that, but I have some Flowmasters on the car.  I had planned to change to Dynomax Ultraflo's, but it just is not in the budget this year.  I plan to run a 3" pipe and dumps off the header and then reduce down to 2.5" exhaust and keep my current 2.5" flowmaster mufflers at least for the time being.  I plan to uncork at the track, and I am obviously fine with less performance on the street.  My only concern is that this does not effect performance at the track.  I used to always take the entire exhaust off when I went racing, but this is getting old and I am getting old...:)

mopar0166

mine works awesome and i kept it 3 inch all the way back with dyno max mufflers.  I used Fred's headers cutout system and it works really good and super easy to install.  you can be loud or stealth very easily.

firefighter3931

It will run better with the 3in pipe and dump than it does with the exhaust removed entirely. Most milder builds show better results with a header extension of 18 inches or thereabouts.  :yesnod:

I'd go ahead with the 3in headpipe and locate the cutout 12-14 inches from the header collector. At the track just remove the plates and you're good to go  :2thumbs:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670137/

That's how mine is set up. In the pic below you can see the dump from the side of the car. I aimed mine down slightly to keep the hot gasses away from the fuel & brake lines. At the track it takes 5 minutes to remove the plates.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 22, 2012, 11:14:02 PM
It will run better with the 3in pipe and dump than id does with the exhaust removed entirely. Most milder builds show better results with a header extension of 18 inches or thereabouts.  :yesnod:

I'd go ahead with the 3in headpipe and locate the cutout 12-14 inches from the header collector. At the track just remove the plates and you're good to go  :2thumbs:

That's how mine is set up. In the pic below you can see the dump from the side of the car. I aimed mine down slightly to keep the hot gasses away from the fuel & brake lines. At the track it takes 5 minutes to remove the plates.

Ron

Now THAT,
is a fine looking ride 'ya got there Ron ! :2thumbs:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

my73charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 22, 2012, 11:14:02 PM
It will run better with the 3in pipe and dump than it does with the exhaust removed entirely. Most milder builds show better results with a header extension of 18 inches or thereabouts.  :yesnod:

I'd go ahead with the 3in headpipe and locate the cutout 12-14 inches from the header collector. At the track just remove the plates and you're good to go  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks Ron!

Bossman963

Mopar0166 where is some info about Freds cut outs ? Im looking for a set of ss electric cut outs
thx in advance Mike  :2thumbs:
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS