News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve adjustment

Started by ugly2u, June 02, 2012, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly2u

I did a valve adjustment on my 1000 mile 490 stroker, but it didn't seem right. Harland Sharp roller, lunati hydraulic, edelbrock heads. The motor started making clicking noise, after having gremlin event a few weeks ago (see my other post titled "gremlins?" in this forum)

I used the adjustment sequence on the sticker. Several of the valves were way off; there are now more than 2 threads showing on the adjuster. The motor has not been run in several weeks. I'm concerned that I over tightened the adjuster, and don't want to cause other damage. Could the valves be that far off and making only a little noise? Could the lifters be depressurized, needing excessive adjustment?

Am I supposed to run the engine to pressurize lifters before doing an adjustment?
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

It can be tricky to get the adjustment right with hyd lifters , you need to be at TDC or set the intake as the exhaust starts to move & the exhaust when the intake closes , you want to back the rocker off until you feel vertical play & then tighten until there is not play & tighten the adjuster approx 1 full turn more , take you time & work through the sequence , if they are adjusted too tight the valve may not fully close

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

ugly2u

Lifters are crane 99378-16.

So, if the valves lash is too tight, the valves won't seat. But will it bend or damage anything? Possibly over compress springs, I guess.

ugly2u

I went back and loosened the rocker adjustments. Gonna warm the engine and start from the beginning.
:eek2: