News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Heritage Kit....

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, May 26, 2012, 09:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Cooter on May 31, 2012, 06:53:44 AM
This is meant to make money, NOT allow the "Old Skool" charger guys/gals buy it. Simple economics. Just like Mercedes, if you have to ask how much, or b*tch about how much, then it wasn't intended for you.

I think it's funny how your opinions are "opinions" but others opinions are just b*tches  :scratchchin:

69CoronetRT

This is meant to make money, NOT allow the "Old Skool" charger guys/gals buy it. Simple economics. Just like Mercedes, if you have to ask how much, or b*tch about how much, then it wasn't intended for you.

Bingo.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Lennard

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 30, 2012, 10:28:08 PM
This isn't meant for 'everyone'. It's not packaged and priced for 'everyone'. They don't want 'everyone' to buy it.

It's meant for a select group of people that can and will pay for it. It's a specialty product.

If it's 'overpriced' you're not the people it's meant for so don't worry about it.
Just like a '68/'69/'70 Charger or the parts for it.

bull

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 31, 2012, 12:54:00 PM
Quote from: bull on May 30, 2012, 11:27:21 PM
We're not the people it's meant for?

Nope. Sorry.

Well, obviously you were a major player in the marketing campaign at Chrysler when this thing was created, or you are at least privy to some secretive inside information none of the rest of us are. I humbly submit to your expertise on the matter.

bull

:lol: "Simple economics" means making money by excluding most of your customer base? Brilliant! Let me get a pencil and write this down...

Quote from: AirborneSilva on May 31, 2012, 12:24:53 PM

I think it's funny how your opinions are "opinions" but others opinions are just b*tches  :scratchchin:

They're no longer opinions when you're always right. When Cooter bitches about something it's ok because it's a fact, not an opinion.

bill440rt

I'd have to see it, touch it, smell it, etc before even considering forking over that kinda dough for some reprints in a fancy-shmancy box with a number on it.
Something is telling me the price may be less in next year's MP catalog.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on May 31, 2012, 07:37:56 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 31, 2012, 12:54:00 PM
Quote from: bull on May 30, 2012, 11:27:21 PM
We're not the people it's meant for?

Nope. Sorry.

Well, obviously you were a major player in the marketing campaign at Chrysler when this thing was created, or you are at least privy to some secretive inside information none of the rest of us are.

Nope. Sorry.

Rustymuscle

No, this box was made SPECIFICALLY for the 1969 Dodge Charger owners. In fact, the marketing reps who presented this to me made a point of saying, "We know of lot of [these] guys feel jilted. That's why we went through all the effort to make this." In fact, it was in my SEMA reporting while I was still at powerTV. Apparently, they were thinking of those Charger owners who would appreciate beautifully restored documentation to match their equally restored Charger, not those of us who are building Chargers on "beer budgets."

Yes, everything coming out of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Mopar is to make money. It'd be moronic if it didn't. Will I buy this box set? No. But I will buy the hardbacked, perfect bound photo booklet when it goes on sale separate from the box. Is $250 for a box set of 10 t-shirts expensive? Yes it is. But, I'm only going to buy two of the shirts seperately (1964 and the 1972 logos) for my 34th birthday next week. Why? Because I like the shirts, support Mopar producing vintage-themed products, and support this company with more than words - but with my hard-earned money.

As far as I can see, this thread is just three pages of embittered sour grapes. How very, very sad. Those of us lucky enough to own a '69 Dodge Charger own a rare, unique piece of American history; not a standard template from which all Dodge vehicles were based upon. If memory serves, not a lot of cool cars akin to this one singular model year flowed from Chrysler assembly lines - at least since 1973. Sorry to insult, but nothing between 1971-to-2004 does much of anything for me. I'm sorry, but Cordobas, GLHS, FWD Daytonas, Intrepids and Neons aren't exciting stuff to me. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

Chrysler has paired up with a lot worse partners than Fiat. I firmly believe that time will show that the cars produced during the Fiat/Chrysler years were some of the best. The cars Chrysler is producing today are better looking, better built and better equipped than any to have come from our favorite automaker in DECADES. If you don't believe me, swallow your pride and go test drive one. You might actually be surprised.

All of this "Eurocharger" and "Fiatmopar" talk is embarrassing. Have you driven a new R/T or SRT8 Charger? I have. They friggin' awesome. And no, I don't care that it has four-doors. Not anymore. No other American autobuilders are producing full-sized RWD two-door coupes, so there's no reason to stretch their neck out and risk a sales turkey. Moreover, were Fiat so incensed on making Chrysler into another Euro-brand, wouldn't Fiat demand that Dodge produce a two-door coupe to compete with the Audi A5, the BMW 5-series and MB CLK-500?

I apologize for such an impassioned response, but this sort of stuff buries deep under my skin. I mean no personal offense, but it does irk me when even the tiniest of olive branches is extended by a company and is immediately swatted aside. I think we owe it to encourage Mopar to improve its image, appeal and custom service. The sad truth is that they're not going to come around to us...
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Ghoste

I have driven them and I still think they are ugly.  As for embittered sour grapes, why?  Because I think charging an exhorbitant fee (and yes it IS exhorbitant) for this set of reprints to your ideal customer base is wrong?  You said yourself ypou won't buy it.  How come?  You are cheerleading its awesomeness so why not buy it?  Because ITS OVERPRICED!!!  That's why.  You tell us that they did this specifically because they felt bad for jilting classic Charger owners with the Eurocharger.  If they felt so bad, they sure haven't shown it by giving the "beer bdugets" of America who bought these cars new and restored them when they were used and treasured them FOR YEARS AND YEARS BEFORE they became blue chip investments a chance to own their precious box.
If this is an olive branch, then they are offering it on a 9 foot high shelf to group of 6 foot high people.  In other words, once again they completely misjudge their market.

Ghoste

The fact its raining here today isnt helping my curmudgeonly mood either. :shruggy:

(hey, at least I'm not carping on Chrysler for that)

wingcar

I think you guys are missing the real point here.  Chrysler has finally figured out that it's cheaper to sell this box set of reproductions themselves, rather than paying their attorneys big dollars to sue aftermarket manufactures that reproduce things for us enthusiasts. If you don't pay to use their trademark, you will be hearing from a Chrysler lawyer.  This is understandable as they want to protect and profit from their own trademark.  However, I to feel the asking price is a bit high, but then I am sure most all of us have paid more than we would have liked for something relating to our Chargers.   However, when you can get all that offered in the kit separately for a lot less, the question becomes....how much is the box worth to you?  And, make no mistake they will sell these collectors sets.  I for one am glad they are offering anything for the old Chargers; just too bad most of us have to decide whether we want to buy a part we need for our Chargers or reading material.  As for the new Mopars....I own a new Challenger, you can't beat them as they will do everything an old Mopar could and more...plus they are faster, handle better, brake better give you better gas mileage and it's a car you can drive all day long.    (And, yes the new Charger is the same, even with two extra doors).   But, then it better have improved as we are talking 40 plus years of technical advances.  They are different cars in a different time.  And, if it weren't for the SRT brand, I wonder if Chrysler would have even cared about "Dodge Performance".   Just my two cents, for what it's worth......... :Twocents: :shruggy: :Twocents:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

stripedelete

Quote from: wingcar on June 01, 2012, 03:04:44 PM
I think you guys are missing the real point here.  Chrysler has finally figured out that it's cheaper to sell this box set of reproductions themselves, rather than paying their attorneys big dollars to sue aftermarket manufactures that reproduce things for us enthusiasts. If you don't pay to use their trademark, you will be hearing from a Chrysler lawyer.  

I disagree.  This is just data that can be printed.  They have near $0.0 in it.  A summer intern could have put the whole program together.  The cost of printing vs manufacturing a part - it's a no brainer.   I would also contend the attorneys are not high-dollar and they are doing most of there chasing through the mail, so, why not let someone repop it and then get your cut? :Twocents:  

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on June 01, 2012, 01:46:22 PM
I have driven them and I still think they are ugly.  As for embittered sour grapes, why?  Because I think charging an exhorbitant fee (and yes it IS exhorbitant) for this set of reprints to your ideal customer base is wrong?  You said yourself ypou won't buy it.  How come?  You are cheerleading its awesomeness so why not buy it?  Because ITS OVERPRICED!!!  That's why.  You tell us that they did this specifically because they felt bad for jilting classic Charger owners with the Eurocharger.  If they felt so bad, they sure haven't shown it by giving the "beer bdugets" of America who bought these cars new and restored them when they were used and treasured them FOR YEARS AND YEARS BEFORE they became blue chip investments a chance to own their precious box.
If this is an olive branch, then they are offering it on a 9 foot high shelf to group of 6 foot high people.  In other words, once again they completely misjudge their market.
On point....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Rustymuscle,

First, happy birthday early!  I am not trying to stir up any sour grapes.  I think that the cost of it is astronomical for what they are giving us.  There already is a bunch of stuff that is repro'd such as the owners manual and other items.  I think what they are trying to cash in on is the limited number being produced and the numbered sets.  Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the fact that they are making something geared specifically for us 69 charger owners, however, I think that there is a lot of other stuff that could be done to keep our cars on the road over reading / collectors material.  Things such as a correct repro green factory oil filter as example.  Or Bendix power disc brake boosters, or other items that is much needed.  Grilles are another example of items that are in need.  Stuff like that which would keep our cars on the road would be monumental in keeping the Chrysler history alive vs. just having something as a conversation piece on a coffee table.  Again, just my  :Twocents:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rustymuscle

Thanks for the early birthday wishes. I just warned my wife that we're going to Cooter's Place. She wasn't thrilled but, it's my birthday and I'm going to get my "Dukes on."

I get that the price of the box set is too high. I think they know too. But it's a premier item - not something that every Tom, Dick and Harry and buy. I know it, you know it, and they know it. But, they are marketing it towards a very select group of people, many of which can justify paying some pretty ridiculous prices for original bits and pieces for our rather expensive classic Chargers. Admit it, you've paid some stupid money for some pretty rinky-dink items before, haven't you? I know I have.

As for Ghoste's point, I think you're a wee bit off the mark. Mopar offers crate 426, 528 and 572 HEMIs, but those are priced just as "exorbitant" too. Do I want one? Heck yes. Will I buy one? Not unless a long-lost relative leaves me enough money that my wife won't kill me for blowing it on. But, I do want a HEMI motor for my Charger and foresee having to go to Mopar for a couple parts. Not because they're the cheapest or they have them in stock, or even that they have good customer service (they have NONE of these). It's because either, 1) they're the only source, or 2) they're the easiest source. Maybe that makes Mopar the lesser of evils.

But because Mopar offers crate HEMIs outside of my personal budget does that mean that Mopar is intentionally trying to insult me? Should Mopar stop offering these engines? No, not in the least. Even though I can't afford one, I'm happy knowing that at least they're still being offered. The day Mopar stops selling Gen II HEMI stuff is the day Mopar REALLY jumps the tracks in my view.

The box sets (the documents set and the t-shirt set) are expensive, and thereby cancel me out as a potential buyer. But, what is included in these sets can or will be sold in piecemeal. When I have the money and when they are made available, I will cherry pick the items I DO want and leave out the rest. That's just being a judicious buyer. Mopar never was THE BEST option for speed parts, restoration parts or the like. They were THE ONLY option for a few years, but never the cheapest or most accessible. Don't let perception cloud your judgement. We would like Mopar to be our "one stop shop," but it never has and it'll never be. It's depressing to acknowledge that, but it's true.

While this is giving Mopar far too much credit, maybe their miserable lack of marketing sense is intentionally designed to encourage aftermarket growth? Mopar doesn't have the budgetary or managerial resources to be a world-leading retailer - maybe they internally realize this and therefore run a sloppy ship to encourage privateers to pick up where they leave off? (I acknowledge this is pure conjecture, but I'll sleep better at night believing that my favorite auto brand isn't ran by nincompoops.)
1970 Dodge Super Bee

mauve66

Quote from: Rustymuscle on June 02, 2012, 08:31:30 AM

While this is giving Mopar far too much credit, maybe their miserable lack of marketing sense is intentionally designed to encourage aftermarket growth? Mopar doesn't have the budgetary or managerial resources to be a world-leading retailer - maybe they internally realize this and therefore run a sloppy ship to encourage privateers to pick up where they leave off? (I acknowledge this is pure conjecture, but I'll sleep better at night believing that my favorite auto brand isn't ran by nincompoops.)

if that was the case you would see hundreds of items with the mopar/direct connection logo, they just want too much for their damn licensing of the product to make it feasible for someone to produce it and sell it at a reasonable cost.

have you ever seen the stools that MCG sells??  they are 60-75 buck stool that have listed at over 100 bucks from day one, just like those watches,  they finally started lowering the prices after they didn't sell too well but still not to the point of normal, even if you try to get one at a show so they don't have to ship it back home, the price still doesn't come down cause they still have to make a profit AFTER paying the royalty.

everybody says, "well they won't sell as many so they have to charge more fore each one of them"

bullsh$$

HEMI motor, 12-15K, everything except for the EXTRA valvetrain parts and valve covers shouldn't cost more than any other motor to manufacture
i know they would sell a hell of a lot more hemi motors at 8K than they do at 12-15K,  hell from the dealer you can get a 502 GM for less than 8K and it makes the same horse as the 12K hemi
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Rustymuscle

Quotehave you ever seen the stools that MCG sells? ...the price still doesn't come down cause they still have to make a profit AFTER paying the royalty.

That's to pay for Rob Wolf's mullet perms. It takes a lot of work to maintain.  :nana:

Quoteeverybody says, "well they won't sell as many so they have to charge more fore each one of them" bullsh$$

Actually, that's completely legit. Whether it's shirts, books, or most any other promotional items, there's an initial tooling cost. The retail price per unit lowers with the larger the quantity sold, because that initial tooling and distribution cost is dispersed over a larger quantity of product. It's Economics 101.

QuoteHEMI motor, 12-15K, everything except for the EXTRA valvetrain parts and valve covers shouldn't cost more than any other motor to manufacture. i know they would sell a hell of a lot more hemi motors at 8K than they do at 12-15K,  hell from the dealer you can get a 502 GM for less than 8K and it makes the same horse as the 12K hemi

I have to agree with you for most of this. Currently, you can purchase a faithful recreation of the 427 L88 all-aluminum big block that made the early C3 Corvettes famous for less than $10K, yet a 425HP 426ci HEMI with near-stock parts is upwards to $14K? Riddle me this one, Batman!

World makes the blocks, Edelbrock makes the heads, waterpumps and intakes, Crane makes the valvetrain and Mopar owns the tooling rights on all of it. Were Mopar to allow the privateers to start selling HEMI products via their own distribution networks, all of us would be swapping out our 440s for Elephants (at least I know I would).
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Ghoste

If it were an olive branch it would be something for a wider group.  This is an item for who?  Obviously not too many here and we represent a diverse portion of heritage Charger fanatics.  I imagine Chrysler feels bad for anyone who doens't own a 69 but they can only box up one part of their heritage at a time of course.
Its a nice idea that is being very poorly executed.  You want to do a heritage kit?  Fantastic!  Make up an huge number of them in an unboxed and affordable form and make them for a variety of cars.  After you do this, you can make up the executive level diamond edition limited availability don't call us we'll call you numbered box set for for the handful.

If Chrylser really wants to support their heritage, they could co-operate with the museum.  Then again, the museum had to split off from their ownership to make sure they didn't get broken up and dismantled.

Patronus

I dont know of any Charger owners who would buy this. Noone here is going to buy one, and lets face it, this is where charger people come. Who's on the list then?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

What Chrysler believes to be a good idea is not necessarily a good idea to the public. Don't try to find logic behind all this, they just have no clue what the hell they are doing.  Haven't had a clue for quite some time.

I don't even want to spend $15 on the repro instruction manual because that's a few gallons of gas I can go burn out there.  Or you can use that to get another part off the list.  $15 gets you some new a/c button decals or some maintenance stuff.  $375 gets you a whole lot more goodies for your car than that ripoff box.  
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.