News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger headlights no worky

Started by Todd Wilson, May 21, 2012, 12:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

The headlights on Frankie tonight decided to not work. Was wondering if anyone has been there and done that and can offer some thoughts or suggestions.    The running lights do come on. I hear a click when I go to headlights and the warning buzzer does work if I open the car door with the lights on.   I have pushed the high beem dimmer switch many times and it appears to be clicking properly but have not verified voltage with a meter. I have in the past had the dimmer get hung up on other Mopars creating a non working situation.  Havent poked around with a volt meter yet. Thoughts or suggestions. They been working just fine and went to leave tonight and thought maybe the doors didnt open but they were open and no lights.

Todd

Chryco Psycho

where I would start is see if there is power going into the dimmer switch , if not there has to be a problem with the headlight switch , if there is power to the dimmer then see if there is power out to the headlights , red & purple go to the lights , green should be power from the headlight switch . if there is no power out to the headlights the dimmer switch is bad .

resq302

I agree with Neal, I would pull back the carpet and check the voltage at the dimmer switch.  99% of the time, the contacts corrode and then breaks the circut.  If you have power there, then I would pull the plug off the head light itself and check for power there.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

The good news is that apparently the dash switch works so it's likely the floor switch or maybe the ground on the rad support came loose.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

triple_green

do the hl doors open or no power to the lamps?

When I was changing out the + battery cable, I bumped the connector in the harness that runs next to the + cable. After cleaning the connectors and some dialectric grease, my headlights are operating fine again....
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

billschroeder5842

Give a wiggle to the electrical connection on the block at the firewall. You might also want to check the connection of the connection near the battery. Mine would always work with a wiggle until I got tired of doing that and cleaned it permanently.
Texas Proud!

Cooter

Time to rebuild headlight switch and turn the sliders inside around.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Todd Wilson

Still no luck yet. I had a short amount of time today to check things.   Once again the running lights are on in both positions. Doors open but headlights dont come on.

I had a new dimmer switch. Swapped it out and nothing.  The dimmer connection has 3 wires. The center (green) wire had 12volts.  Other 2 wires had none.

Checked the headlight grounds at the front. They are fine.  DId clean the connector by the battery. Have wiggled everything from bulkhead to headlight bulbs.

Like I said I havet had time to really probe around with a voltmeter.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Cooter on May 24, 2012, 06:38:24 AM
Time to rebuild headlight switch and turn the sliders inside around.

I think the switch is bad.   How tough is it to take apart and do this to the sliders?

I can get an entire new ballgame for 140$ on ebay. New repro switch and vacuum switch as well.

Todd

A383Wing

if you have 12v at the green wire at the dimmer switch, the headlight switch is good....if no power out of the dimmer switch, it's bad

Bryan

Chryco Psycho

Todd Wilson

Yeah I poked around with the voltmeter and green has nothing at the dimmer switch.

Todd

Chryco Psycho

is the green wire powered at the headlight switch ? Ifthere is no power to the green it sound more like a headlight switch contact problem .

Cooter

Again, time for a new headlight switch. Being you couldn't get these jsut a few short years ago, i had to come up with a rebuild procedure. isn't that hard to do, but MUST BE PATIENT..LOTS of little springs and sh*t to get dropped and lost.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"