News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

coolant over flow

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, May 20, 2012, 08:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

what are you guys using for coolant over flow bottles. i used to use a soda bottle but with the new engine i figure id class it up a bit haha.

A383Wing

I got a mid 60's Chev washer bottle on mine...look under the Mopar washer bottle

Bryan

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brightyellow69rtse

thats what im leaning towards. its good to give things back to the earth anyway. TAKE THAT EARTH!!!

ODZKing

Bought a very thin bottle after searching and found this.  Sits VERY neatly right next to my radiator on the 67.
Ordered it from a Mitzubischi dealer.  It was something like $10.00 - part # MR188696

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on May 22, 2012, 08:23:00 AM
Bought a very thin bottle after searching and found this.  Sits VERY neatly right next to my radiator on the 67.
Ordered it from a Mitzubischi dealer.  It was something like $10.00 - part # MR188696

Ooo I like.  I may have to get one of those.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

You can just see the top in this pic.  Just strapped it in and works fine.

471_Magnum

Got any dimensions on that? My challenge is fitting something between the radiator and charcoal canister.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

ODZKing

Quote from: 471_Magnum on May 22, 2012, 07:33:57 PM
Got any dimensions on that? My challenge is fitting something between the radiator and charcoal canister.
Just went out and measured it.  3.25 inches wide (x) 16.5 inches tall.
Ha, tough to get a pic leaning over but this may be better for you ... give you an idea.  
Took this right after I installed it ... had to clean up a few things like the bolts and horn relay.
Never did get around to painting those brackets red - LOL!

A383Wing

how come yer car is sideways, Bob??

Bryan

Cooter

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 21, 2012, 06:16:05 PM
I use the street.... :shruggy:

A buddy used to do that as well until for the umteenth time, it always puked at cruise night and was embarrassing for him. Finally listened and I installed an overflow tank, been happy ever since.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Cooter on May 23, 2012, 06:00:48 PM

A buddy used to do that as well until for the umteenth time, it always puked at cruise night and was embarrassing for him. Finally listened and I installed an overflow tank, been happy ever since.

No need to puke if you follow the fill to 1" below the neck rule... :nono:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

471_Magnum

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 23, 2012, 07:06:12 PMNo need to puke if you follow the fill to 1" below the neck rule... :nono:

Yeah... but if you want to make a pass down the strip you won't get through tech without one.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Just 6T9 CHGR

They must be real lenient in NJ....either that or my car wasnt fast enough to warrant one ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Cooter

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 23, 2012, 07:06:12 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 23, 2012, 06:00:48 PM

No need to puke if you follow the fill to 1" below the neck rule... :nono:

Well, don't know bout stock set ups and the " 1" rule", but he tried all that stuff with his 446", indy headed, Roller cammed, Holley carbed big block and to no avail.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

471_Magnum

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 24, 2012, 05:35:47 AM
They must be real lenient in NJ....either that or my car wasnt fast enough to warrant one ;)

It's got nothing to do with how fast YOUR car is. You need to run one as a courtesy to your fellow racers that have to drive over your "puke".

If you're on the track, run a bottle.

As far as running on the street, cars with down flow radiators shouldn't need one, other than to be environmentally friendly.

Cross flows need to maintain higher coolant levels though to get flow through all the rows in the core, so overflow is a necessary evil. Actually, cross flows need a recovery tank so they can draw the coolant back into the radiator.

firefighter3931

Mike, i bought an aluminum overflow can from Summit Racing. You can see it mounted on the driver side of the core support in the pic below  :scope:

Much nicer than a soda bottle  ;)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-300101-W/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ChgrSteve67

I have a 2 inch billet aluminum one that fits nicely between my battery tray and radiator support.

I have anther one that I got with my new BeCool Radiator that is 3 inches thick and looks like FF3931 bottle.
Summit sells it for $120+ and I would let it go for $75

-Steve

Fred

Geez what a good idea.  :2thumbs:
After seeing your post I took myself off to the car wreckers and found the exact same bottle for $6.00.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

matrout76

Geez what a good idea.  :2thumbs:
After seeing your post I took myself off to the car wreckers and found the exact same bottle for $6.00.
[/quote]

do you remember what year and model of Mitsubishi you got it out of?
Thanks!

Fred

Quote from: matrout76 on May 29, 2012, 08:53:14 PM

Geez what a good idea.  :2thumbs:

Thanks!
[/quote]

Not off hand but I'm going back there tomorrow morning and I will check it out for you. Will let you know.

Dino

Thanks!

All the info you need is right here guys.  Bob posted the part number to make your search easier.   :2thumbs:  

part # MR188696

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

Geez what a good idea.  :2thumbs:

Thanks!
[/quote]

Ok checked it out today and the models with that particular overflow bottle are as follows.............
2000 / 2001 / 1998 /  Lancer  and 1998 / 1996 Mirage.
Hope this helps you.
 :2thumbs: