News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hamtramck

Started by Fred, May 24, 2012, 08:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

How do you pronounce Hamtramck?  I can never get my tongue around that second "m"  :eek2:
Is my tongue too short?  :shruggy:

Should I ask the mrs.?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

resq302

Ive always pronounced it Ham-tram-ack even though it is spelled Hamtramck.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Alaskan_TA

Fred

I thought the "m" might be silent making it Hamtrack.

bull

Quote from: Fred on May 24, 2012, 08:59:47 PM

Never heard of a silent m before except maybe in the word mnemonic. There are lots of silent n words though like column, damn, autumn. But if you want you can make the m silent, Fred. I'd be more concerned about the silent i that isn't there. :o :nana:

But Ham-tram-ick is correct, according to the dictionary:

Ham·tramck [ham-tram-ik] noun
A city in SE Michigan, completely surrounded by the city of Detroit. 21,300.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hamtramck?s=t

Fred

Quote from: bull on May 24, 2012, 09:25:38 PM

Never heard of a silent m before except maybe in the word mnemonic. There are lots of silent n words though like column, damn, autumn. But if you want you can make the m silent, Fred. I'd be more concerned about the silent i that isn't there. :o :nana:

Now bull..........don't take the bull out of me  :lol:
I know where it is I just didn't know how to s-s-say it. There are always exceptions to the rules.
It's not in any dictionary I own which is why I ask. Besides, if it's pronounced Hamtramick why the heck didn't they write it like that. All this guess work isn't doing my little grey cells any good.
As for the silent "i', I always know where to find it on a good day!  :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

rt green

it would be a good question for tom hoover
third string oil changer

Ghoste

Brian is a former Detroit boy and I live 45 miles from there.  Alsakan TA gave you the correct version.  Right or wrong, that is how it is pronounced in the area.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on May 25, 2012, 06:18:21 AM
Brian is a former Detroit boy and I live 45 miles from there.  Alsakan TA gave you the correct version.  Right or wrong, that is how it is pronounced in the area.

There's no "former" about it.   I just don't happen to live there   :'(

:nana:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

The outer suburbs huh?  (like way way outer  ;) )

stripedelete

I'm not an expert on Detroit history but I was once told Hamtramck was Detroit's Polish ghetto waaay back in the day.  Is that the origin of the name? 

bull

Quote from: Fred on May 24, 2012, 11:28:57 PM
Quote from: bull on May 24, 2012, 09:25:38 PM

Now bull..........don't take the bull out of me  :lol:
I know where it is I just didn't know how to s-s-say it.

I didn't post it for the definition, I posted it for the "[ham-tram-ik]"

Ghoste

Quote from: stripedelete on May 25, 2012, 10:52:28 AM
I'm not an expert on Detroit history but I was once told Hamtramck was Detroit's Polish ghetto waaay back in the day.  Is that the origin of the name? 

I'm not sure about the ghetto part, but yes it was a Polish 'hood.

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on May 25, 2012, 12:55:07 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on May 25, 2012, 10:52:28 AM

I'm not sure about the ghetto part, but yes it was a Polish 'hood.

Ya, that was "ghetto" in the "predominately one nationality" definition of the word.  Not today's definition.

Fred

That's all very interesting and it being/having been a Polish settlement explains the last 3 letters. I can make sense of it now.  :2thumbs:

resq302

Quote from: Fred on May 25, 2012, 05:21:08 PM
That's all very interesting and it being/having been a Polish settlement explains the last 3 letters. I can make sense of it now.  :2thumbs:

Espcially to those of us who are polish background  (yes, I know it explains A LOT about me) :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Bob T

I had a look on the net the other night for Hamtramck buildings and saw it is only a few miles from the Candian border but everthing had been knocked down in 1981.

During the week I found a 1965 Canadian 5c embedded in the underseal right in the rear seat corner the other night, I took it out, cleaned it up and showed it to my Wife and then siliconed it back into place, sort of a good luck gig I guess, if its been there since build day, then it has a right to remain in the car.

My guess was some long gone Canadian auto worker would be having a chuckle when he put it in. Pretty cool I  thought, I remember seeing a thread on here ages ago about a guy that had found a nut tied to a string inside a door panel  :lol:

Also found a 1988 Canadian 25c down inside the bottom of the r.h 1/4 panel, probably some kid posted it
Old Dog, Old Tricks.