News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition and Condenser problem?

Started by THE COLONEL, May 07, 2012, 06:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

Hey guys, Haven't been on here in a while as I am super busy with the family, but I have been having problems with The Colonel.  Here is the issue.  I can be driving down the road at 40mph, and I let my foot off the gas, and the car just shuts down.  It wont start again for almost a half hour. 

Also, I know I need a new ignition, as I can turn the key several times before it catches and then fires up.  I can turn it back off, and have to turn it again a few times before it fires again. Now before I had ignition problems, the car was shutting off like I stated before.  Could this be the condenser...along with the ignition causing the problem, or do you think the ignition has nothing to do with this particular problem?

I have heard the if the condenser gets hot, it will kill the car, and then you have to wait about a half hour before the car will start again. That is about the time it takes when The Colonel shuts off, for me to start it again  The really weird thing is, if I have the car in neutral, it will not shut off....only if it is in drive....so far anyway. So for me to get around with it, if I HAVE to, I have to put in in neutral if my foot comes off the gas pedal, and the back in drive as I give it gas to keep moving.  Just weird.  Anyone have this issue before? 
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

ugly2u

My car is doing the same thing. Anyone have ideas?

It was suggested that I change the coil and ballast resistor; I did. As soon as I tried to fire it up, the new resistor was smoking. I screwed it down better and the smoke stopped. Now my car turns off frequently.

I guess I will try another resistor.

Chryco Psycho

bad condenser is a cheap fix , cannot hurt to try a new one & it can short to ground killing the ign .
A new Ballast will often smoke & I doubt is the problem , easy to test with a test light or meter

ugly2u

I put in a new distributor and ballast resistor and the problem is solved. The reman distributor was only $59. The pick-up was going to be $30 ish.

:drive:

Chryco Psycho