News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to paint the bottom

Started by billfury, May 17, 2012, 06:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billfury

Hey everyone.  Ill be painting my car with clear coat/base coat and was wondering if the bottom has to be the same, or could I go with a single stage? I already sprayed the bottom with the lizard skin so it will be protected already. Thanks

bill440rt

It's really up to personal preference, Bill.
There might be a few factors to consider, such as are you going with a solid or metallic? Might want to consider a base/clear if you spraying metallic. But, it's not a high visible area such as the topside of the car so as long as you use a high-quality single stage you should be OK with it for a solid color.
I used a single stage for the underside on a solid color, it is fine but I used a lower paint line & it absolutely sucked to spray. Many contours & stuff & the paint just did not want to cover. The end result is fine, but next time I'd use a better paint line.
I've also used base/clear for metallics on the underside, no problems and paint turned out beautiful.

Only asking out of curiousity though why you want to paint over lizard skin? Is it a smooth paintable surface? Can it be painted? Is it black & rough like undercoating?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

billfury

The lizard skin has a grayish black texture look.The guy told me that I could leave it if I wanted ,and yes you can paint over it.I just don't want it to look unfinished.I'm still deciding if I'm painting it black or gunmetal.

71green go

I did the same
Sandblasted
black Epoxy primer
A truck bed liner product applied with a shutz gun
then used a adhesion product sprayed on as I could not sand well
then applied light coat of grey two part primer
then painted with Urethane top coat same color as top of car which was base coat
However there was a difference in tint.....the urethane paint was not the same shade as the base clear PPG I used...but its underneath and cant tell

Probably over kill the way I did it but looks great and durable