News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear bumper - Repop vs OEM

Started by DC_1, May 03, 2012, 03:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

Do the bumpers have the Penastar or Chrysler part number on them? How can you tell a repop from a OEM?

2nd gen is what I am after.

Ryan

The repops I have used / seen fit very poorly. Passenger side sits up too high, also the chrome is very wavy on them.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

bill440rt

I lucked out with mine. Fit is good, it is even on both sides. It's also pretty straight, much straighter than the repop front bumper I have.
Chrome quality isn't that great. It's a little thin on the outside corners & I've found that it scratches pretty easily, and I don't use anything abrasive on chrome.

But, they're cheap & like anything else you get what you pay for especially with chrome.
It came with a good warranty on the chrome, and like I mentioned the fit is decent with this one so maybe someday I'll chalk up & have it re-chromed professionally.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69 OUR/TEA

FWIW,I just got a quote from Tri-City to do my originals,$325.00 each,and $45.00 for each bumperette.I'm trying to keep as much on my car orig as poss,so I plan on sending mine out to them,heard alot of good responces about them.

Ghoste

I had heard a few complaints about them so Bill's post is refreshing.

charger_fan_4ever

To bad there isn't a reasonable chrome place in canada. I got a quote of $1000 for my 70 front bumper.
Their wedsite says you can buy an already chromed bumper from them. I'm crossing my fingers they have a 70.

DC_1

The reason I asked is I just took mine off to have it rechromed. It wasn't pitted at all and in relatively good condition except for scratches and spider cracks everywhere. It didn't seem as heavy as I expected since I have always read the OEM bumpers seem to be thicker as well as fitting better. Mine fit fine and assumened it was original. When I looked it over after removing it I couldn't find a Chrysler part number or Penastar stamped anywhere so I began to suspect it was not original. I dropped it off to be rechromed along with the door vent frames and rear tail pan chrome. $1300 is what it is costing me. He stared at $1500. I wanted him to do my tail light housing and bezels but because of the excessive pitting he said it would be about $700 a side because of the hours he would have trying to fix them. I guess I will just buy new since the repop will be less than that.

Btw, place I went to is New Toro plating in Toronto. I know House of Chrome and Cambridge Chrome have a good reputation around here but they wanted $2500...... I couldn't stomach that.