News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to plug in a navi system into cigarette lighter....

Started by nrt69, July 16, 2012, 08:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

is anyone plugging in a navi system into their cigarette lighter?
mine doesnt work when i plug it in. i know the lighter housing is getting power because i can touch my tach light wire to it and it lights up my tach. (someone the forum said i could use this wire to power the light for my tach)
inbetween plugging the tach wire in and the navi power cord, it keeps blowing the 20A fuse (second one from the right when looking in the glove box). Im not 100% certain which wire is causing the fuse to blow. it could be both.

should i be able to plug in my navi system into the cig lighter?
can i use the cig lighter to power the light in my tach?

A383Wing

the cig lighter socket has power all the time...so if you tap into that for your tach, it will be lighted all the time.

some aftermarket plug-in's that you put into the lighter socket will blow the fuse...mainly because it touches the power & ground at the same time....

get a triple socket accessory part at your local auto part store and use that for your navi system

if yer lighter fuse blows...yer tail or brake lights may also not work when this fuse is blown

Bryan

bakerhillpins

I have to wiggle my cell and nav adapters to get them to make contact and stay connected but it does work. I figure I just need to clean the contacts someday.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.