News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ok I know i haven't updated the 36, but I bought a new toy LOL 76 VW Bug!

Started by Khyron, March 14, 2012, 10:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

Well... I did it again, bought another car, so here we go, My first Volksrod... I found a nice "solid" Baja bug on craigslist. Runs great and road ready, came with a lot of extra steel, 3 motors, 2 of them run, and well.... I did what anyone would do with a solid bug, got some friends together and cut that bitch :-)

we started with the standard removal of the glass, removed the cage that was in it, and taped it off, this time, unlike my 36, we measured several times.

Look at the RAW power! Lol

Cutting the cage and making a pile hehehe then cut the pilars :-) First pic is my :-)

What the look I wanted to go for is lower the front, notch the back and keep the back normal height, I wanted a 3 window coupe look, should be nice when done :-)

Back notched, front tacked, pillar tacked.

Not too bad, pied the doors, front windows ruffed in, Baja front off.... I can start to see the look, next is the 10 inch front extension with the 2 1/2 inch drop :-) I just bought an entire front clip we will graft on after the extension is in place :-)

Will update as we move along, next stop... front end extension 

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Khyron

LOL, I said the same thing, the guy helping almost hit me for that LOL, We're going for a 3 window coupe look hehehe

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

That is something different.  I have a few buddies that are big VW fans so I will have to show them these pics.  Keep us posted.

Khyron

Will do, it's easier to keep motivated since the girl runs great and I already registered and insured it heheheh

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

I know LOL, silly Baja people... but fear not, a 3 tones German camouflage paint job is in it's near future ;-)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

33yeartoy

Khyron

more updates :-) We removed the rear engine cage, removed the front end, cleaned up some metal a bit and installed the 10 extension built buy Dman41 ... solid piece and very happy with it :-) Had to re adjust the steering a bit.

I love the new look, it doesn't sit as low as I would like, so we have to figure on if we want to put in a adjustable front or just go with some lower spindles... I think I'll make the choice after the new front end is on it and see where she sits with the added weight. I have no idea how this thing got so high in the first place.

more to come, next step, graft a front end back on 

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

dads_69

Cool project, also the body shop dust covered tool boxes & Vet' hidding in the background, way cool!
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

kab69440

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Khyron

LOL, no, to be honest, you would be surprised how much room is in these things, I'm 6', and even with that cut, and the seats I have in there, I have 4 inches above my head LOL

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

kab69440

I can't remember the last time I had 4"between my head and the ceiling.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bajaherbie

should have kept it a baja!  i've had this for 20 years or so... also have a 73 karmann ghia, would love to have a rat rod but it will have to wait... the top looks good IMO. speedway motors sells an old school front end for vw's that looks pretty good on rat rods. keep us posted on the updates.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Khyron

yeah, and wait till you guys see the 50 dodge 2 door I just bought also LOL

:smilielol: :slap:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Khyron

welp, today I got a lot done, I took the clip I got from a local yard, cut along the welds by the doors, across the top and firewall. Then removed the floors.

after a little more trim work on the inside, I fit the front on and notched it for the extended front end. I cut the top straight against the grove by the wipers and fit the front on the old hood channel, this will extend the front by about 4 to 5 inches. Used some self tapping screws to hold ot on for now, will weld in some metal to fill the gaps.

I removed 6 inches from the front because the super is wider and I wanted to use the old hood,

Here's how it came out.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Finn

Damn you're hauling ass on this thing!  Was there any creasing problem when you sloped the roof down?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Khyron

a little, but nothing a hammer didn't take care of ;-) The plan is 1 month for the project ;-)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Well, today was a busy day; mike and I installed the lowering Kit and dropped the bug about 3 inches. Removed the spindles, arms and center leafs. Elongated the mounting holes, welded on the plates and locked everything down, about 5 hour's total, what a pain in the ass. After the front was dropped George mentioned the bump steer would be pretty bad because after everything was set the tie rods were way off.

We drilled the spindles, and locked down the outers upside down, and re adjusted the gear box, tomorrow, I'll be starting the tin work to get the body locked down :-)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.