News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plywood PITA

Started by twodko, April 14, 2012, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

What is the deal nowadays?  :icon_smile_angry:
I'm building a roll around miter saw/onboard vac cart and I chose to use 3/4" birch plywood. There is no such freakin' animal! ACX or veneered it's all frustratingly undersized. You are damned if you buy sheets from 2 different sources............you'll be tweaking dados to fit each joint. There are work arounds but, come on, they let loose the bozo who fixed a 2x4 and made it a 1 3/4 x 3 1/2???? And veneer? Used to be a fat 16th of material to work with, now sanding the current stuff has to be surgical or you cut right through it. Crap.

I feel better now.  :D
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

stripedelete

I have a wood boat.  I know your pain.

Charger RT

I have an old wood house made of real 2x4s with 5 inch thick walls in a state where every house will get termites at one time or another. I have to get extra 2x4 to rip off strips to make a 2x4 1.5x4 inches and no pre-hung door is made for a 5 inch thick wall. Plus I suck at home repair

I feel your pain.
Tim

Old Moparz

Ever try to match up old mouldings?   :RantExplode:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

kab69440

2x4 is a rough cut dimension. In order to get the smooth surface desired for the finishing work, it must be sanded on all four sides (S4S, in lumber milling terminology) leaving you with a reduced actual measurement. I can offer no reasonable explanation why plywood has become the utter clusterxxx that it has.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Patronus

I thought a 2x4 was only 1 1/2"  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

RallyeMike

QuoteThere are work around but, come on, they let loose the bozo who fixed a 2x4 and made it a 1 3/4 x 3 1/2?Huh

Speaking of bozos, the actual dimension of a 2x4 these days is WHAT size?   :nana: :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

twodko

Well..........yeah.  :shruggy:  :lol:

bakerhillpins

HA.. Building a library for the wife now, nothing special but yea the plywood these days is questionable.  I just buy shop grade birch these days as I have found the quality to be on par with the stuff I pay close to 50% more for.

Actually, anyone who has worked on an old home feels your pain.   :pity:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

Remember the good old days when you were just happy to find the cheapest place you could so you could save more money for having fun?...  Home ownership is for the birds..   :brickwall:

Oh and i just got done staining 4 cabinet doors that i built for the second time since the first ones didnt look "just right"...   :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

LaOtto70Charger

We've been doing the stain just doesn't like right thing also.  Bought some poplar 1X6 and 1X4 pieces to add some trim in the bathroom.  First the 1X6 and 1X4 pieces took the stain differently and than the color doesn't quite match the other original trim in the room.

Magnumcharger

I'm lucky I guess. I've got a friend with a mill and he makes me dimensional lumber (rough cut) for half the price of kiln dried junk at the local lumberyard.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

twodko

Any soft woods...poplar birch fur pine etc need a coat of sanding sealer or shellac before any stain/finish. Then the stain will be far more uniform and the finish coats will really look great.  :Twocents:
We have a huge hard wood company here that mills and sells rough. When I need some primo wood....red birch, claro walnut, ebony etc, that's where I buy rough and mill it myself. Only affordable way for me. They have top drawer sheet goods as well, apple core, prefinished cherry walnut oak etc plywoods......it's a candy store.