News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

battery caps and electric fan??

Started by r4daytona, March 31, 2012, 07:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Two quick questions: #1 what color are the caps on my battery suppose to be..red? ( boy that question could have some inuendo)lol  and #2 I'm looking to go thru Summit for an electirc fan to hide in the nose cone.  Just wondering if a single or the dual smaller ones work better?  If anyone has the exact part number for the one they have and it works that would be great.  I know there was a thread on this. but just looking for a simpler answer.

moparstuart

Quote from: r4daytona on March 31, 2012, 07:44:39 AM
Two quick questions: #1 what color are the caps on my battery suppose to be..red? ( boy that question could have some inuendo)lol  and #2 I'm looking to go thru Summit for an electirc fan to hide in the nose cone.  Just wondering if a single or the dual smaller ones work better?  If anyone has the exact part number for the one they have and it works that would be great.  I know there was a thread on this. but just looking

??? My first single fan
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

I just changed from a single to two  if you want a cheap and great solution i got condenser fans from a 98 caddy catera  .  They are about 100.00 used at a normal salvage yard and probable dirt cheap at a pull it your self yard     they push a ton of air and keep my motor at about 170
  It ran about 210  before

moparstuart

They fit perfectly up in there and they push tons of air  , they have a big rubber seal to so the work perfectly

CornDogsCharger

I used a Flex-a-lite on this 'Bird but I don't remember what part number it was.  I can check when i get back work on Monday (I still have the instructions).  I can't remember why we didn't use a dual fan... I think it was too large for the condenser and would have hung off either side.  This fan has a box where you could adjust when it would kick on.  It's hard to see but I mounted the box on the front of the driver side fender where the hose would hide it, but I could still access it if it needed to be adjusted.  I tried to hide as much as possible and this fan kit worked best.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

62 Max

Two quick questions: #1 what color are the caps on my battery suppose to be..red? ( boy that question could have some inuendo)lol  and #2 I'm looking to go thru Summit for an electirc fan to hide in the nose cone.  Just wondering if a single or the dual smaller ones work better?  If anyone has the exact part number for the one they have and it works that would be great.  I know there was a thread on this. but just looking for a simpler answer.

After all the radiator stuff,your battery should be group 24,yellow caps !

CornDogsCharger

Now I'm confused.  What does the radiator have to do with the battery?  I must have missed something.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

WINGIN IT

No need to be confused, original poster just asked 2 separate questions in the same post  :icon_smile_wink:

hemigeno

Quote from: 62 Max on March 31, 2012, 10:19:43 AM

For a Daytona, the battery should be a Group 27 with red caps... 'Birds may be different (not sure), but 440's and 426's all got the larger battery as standard equipment.  It'll show up on the Broadcast Sheet (I think it's Sales Code F69 going from memory) but not the fender tag.

:Twocents:

62 Max

Quote from: hemigeno on April 01, 2012, 08:37:27 AM
Quote from: 62 Max on March 31, 2012, 10:19:43 AM

For a Daytona, the battery should be a Group 27 with red caps... 'Birds may be different (not sure), but 440's and 426's all got the larger battery as standard equipment.  It'll show up on the Broadcast Sheet (I think it's Sales Code F69 going from memory) but not the fender tag.

:Twocents:

Just goes to show you,not everyone knows everything !! :2thumbs:

69_500

I will have to agree with Gene here. I have not seen any Daytona's yet coded for the yellow caps. Now yet another thing to try to keep a tally on.

r4daytona

Thanks for the info.  Stuart, i like the caddy idea, just not sure if I want to get some used ones. With my luck I'll get the car back and one of the fan bearings will go, then I'll be stuck fixing it.  Geno, thanks for confirming my thought on the red caps.

maxwellwedge

F25 on the B/Sheet for Red Caps.
Yes - Group 27 Red Cap were standard on Hemi's and 440 HP's for 69....as well as some other years. One exception was the 69-1/2 A12 440-6. They got the Yellow caps.

moparstuart

Quote from: r4daytona on April 02, 2012, 08:46:47 AM
Thanks for the info.  Stuart, i like the caddy idea, just not sure if I want to get some used ones. With my luck I'll get the car back and one of the fan bearings will go, then I'll be stuck fixing it.  Geno, thanks for confirming my thought on the red caps.
The caddy fans are really well made and i dont sell many of them used for burning up , mostly for collision . So i think you will be ok  plus you shouldnt have to run them all the time , i have mine on a toggle switch to flip on when in traffic or when really hot out .    You can also goto the parts store and get a temp sender and relay switch so the will automatically come on when it reaches a certain temp.  !!!! 

Indygenerallee

Im with Stuart, I own a auto repair shop and I rarely ever replace any of these OE electric fans most are pretty stout compared to ones put on the older cars when electric cooling fans came out. I plan to run one and a Champion aluminum radiator on my 5.7 Hemi Daytona clone.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 02, 2012, 10:24:25 AM
Im with Stuart, I own a auto repair shop and I rarely ever replace any of these OE electric fans most are pretty stout compared to ones put on the older cars when electric cooling fans came out. I plan to run one and a Champion aluminum radiator on my 5.7 Hemi Daytona clone.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  I also have a repair shop and small used car lot here . Plus the 28 acres of late model salvage .   

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 02, 2012, 09:57:38 AM
F25 on the B/Sheet for Red Caps.
Yes - Group 27 Red Cap were standard on Hemi's and 440 HP's for 69....as well as some other years. One exception was the 69-1/2 A12 440-6. They got the Yellow caps.

Yep, you're right Jim - Sales Code F25 is for a red-cap battery, indicated on Line 7 of the '69 Broadcast Sheet.  I was remembering the designator on Line 3, which is a "69" typed under "BAT" - for 2642969, the assembly-line part number for the red cap battery used in 1969 (and maybe other years as well).

[hijack]
Did the A12 cars have any other vestiges besides the yellow-cap battery from their "on paper" origination as a 383 car? 
[/hijack]

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on April 02, 2012, 02:11:04 PM
[hijack]
Did the A12 cars have any other vestiges besides the yellow-cap battery from their "on paper" origination as a 383 car? 
[/hijack]

Hmmm - Thinking..... Some people think the 5/16" fuel line but the 440HP got that in 69 as well. They also had the 3/8" sender as well. There were some early cars that may have not got the Hemi suspension...but I have not seen one. The bean counters forgot to include the charge on early Monroney's but figured that out later and started showing/charging for it. That's why some people think the early ones didn't get the Hemi suspension but I have seen a couple of cars that showed none on paper but it was under the car. I think for now the battery and E63 on the fender tag was about it......until I hit the "Post" button and remember something else - lol.