News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Floor board patch panel finishing

Started by Moneypit6, October 23, 2013, 01:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moneypit6

I cut out a couple different sections of my floor board and welded in ne sections.  After taking the welds down there is some unevenness and slight warpage because of the heat.  I think the common thing to do is use body filler on it.  I was thinking instead of using an epoxy.  Is there a problem with this approach?  Epoxy would seem to bond well and be strong when things under the car get bumped into it.  Any thoughts negative or positive?  I know it doesn't feather well but I don't see that as a problem given the location.

Dino

Quote from: Moneypit6 on October 23, 2013, 01:02:23 PM
  I cut out a couple different sections of my floor board and welded in ne sections.  After taking the welds down there is some unevenness and slight warpage because of the heat.  I think the common thing to do is use body filler on it.  I was thinking instead of using an epoxy.  Is there a problem with this approach?  Epoxy would seem to bond well and be strong when things under the car get bumped into it.  Any thoughts negative or positive?  I know it doesn't feather well but I don't see that as a problem given the location.

The unevenness can't really be fixed unless you start over, but the warping can.  The metal has stretched because of the heat so you need to shrink it back.  A shrinking disc will be the easiest or you can do it old school with a torch, hammer and dolly and a wet sponge.  You may get away with just the torch and sponge though.  Epoxy on the floor is fine but make sure the floor is super clean.  Let it air out as long as possible and build it up in thin layers.  A good floor epoxy will also seriously cut down on cabin noise and heat.  I have a thin coat of epoxy on my floors and it blocks the heat from the headers.  I have never felt any heat come through the floor, not even on a 100° day stuck in traffic.

If you want to use filler then use all metal filler and keep it thin.  Plain filler on floor boards usually doesn't live long.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Moneypit6