News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake drum paint

Started by 66FBCharger, March 13, 2012, 07:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Were the brake drums in '69 painted red if your car came with road wheels?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

The red drum bulletin came out in August of 69 so some say 1970 is the first model year but there is evidence that it appeared on 1969 models as well..

bill440rt

From what I have read there were also different shades of red that were used. I have traces of the original red drippings on the inside of my '70 road wheels. It is a very dark red.

I think there was a thread on shades of red topic as well? Does anyone remember it or have a link??  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I thought they were all just a brick red and brush applied??

bill440rt

I thought in '69 it was more towards the orange side.  :scratchchin:

I remember reading a thread or article about it, just not sure where I saw it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Topic seems to pop up in a bunch of threads but nothing on colors codes so far.  Found this;

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4972.0.html

bill440rt

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on March 13, 2012, 07:17:07 AM
The red drum bulletin came out in August of 69 so some say 1970 is the first model year but there is evidence that it appeared on 1969 models as well..

I just updated another thread with this same info, but an earlier-issued (2/19/68) engineering graphic shows the brake drum paint for '69 models also.  This simply confirms what we've always thought.

:cheers:

bill440rt

Yep. I've got those sloppy red drips on the inside of my road wheels.  :yesnod:   It is that same darker shade.
It's been common(?) knowledge that the drums are supposed to be red, I just thought there were variations of it & I thought I remembered reading about that somewhere is all. 

Ghoste

Gene, do you have a copy of that earlier bulletin?