News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter relay? Ignition switch? blowing fuse when I hook battery up.

Started by mpdlawdog, April 13, 2012, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

OK so I just restored my grill and got everything back together...I started the car back in Jan was the last time it ran which it started right up....

anyway I got everything hooked back up when I put the + battery cable on it blew the fuse I put in between the starter relay and the fuse box.

I have a wire that goes from my radio to the battery...I unhooked it and tried that one....it also blew the fuse...any ideas?  its my birthday and I really want to get it out today but Im at a loss :'(
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

resq302

First, happy birthday!   :cheers:

If it just started doing this now after you redid your grille, I would check that you did not pinch any wires.  Most likely it is something that you were just working on as it was fine before.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on April 13, 2012, 12:06:27 PM
First, happy birthday!   :cheers:

If it just started doing this now after you redid your grille, I would check that you did not pinch any wires.  Most likely it is something that you were just working on as it was fine before.

I concur...very easy to pinch the forward light harness between the grill & fender
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nvrbdn

happy birthday :2thumbs: and yep, its gotta be a pinched wire, or a wire grounded somewhere, short in a connection somewhere. disconnect all the wires you just hooked back up and put the positive cable back on.  then if it doesnt blow, reconnect the wires 1 at a time to find the culprit.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mpdlawdog

Thanks for the bday wishes....
Spent the day going over the car and still can't find what it is. Just had a few questions.
Will the car start without the fuse box being hooked up?
Will a bad starter relay cause these problems?
I'm at a loss. It seems like the wire that goes off the relay to the fuse box might be an issue or setting in the fuse box. I was thinking if the car doesn't have to be hooked up to the fuse box it's the starter relay some how is shorting out :shruggy:

mpdlawdog

How about the ignition switch?   Just can't figure out this issue :brickwall:   

ACUDANUT

Let's forget the blown fuses for a moment. Can you start the car by (bye jumping the starter relay ?)

bigez04

So, I'm no expert by any means. But you put your own inline fuse from the battery to the starter?  (non-factory deal?)  What amp fuse?  Check all connections for that wire?  Run a straight wire?? (no inline fuse)  Just a thought?  I would say there's just gotta be a short somewhere.  Good luck bud, let us know what you find.
Eric

mpdlawdog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 14, 2012, 09:31:06 AM
Let's forget the blown fuses for a moment. Can you start the car by (bye jumping the starter relay ?)
Dumb question but how do u do that?

bigez04

You take a screw driver to the big post on the relay and touch the tip to the small screw.  You're just making a jump connection with the screwdriver.
Eric

mpdlawdog

bigez04

after replacing the fuse and it didn't blow?  hmm... Ok...so, in doing that you bypassed the ignition switch.  Can you get on some kind of chat?

mpdlawdog

I didn't replace it yet. I can't touch the wire without it blowing so I didn't hook it back up. I'm headed into autozone. They actually have a relay. I will keep you posted or put her in the for sale section :-\

bigez04

Lol...ok, also check connections to the yellow wire (if it's factory) that wire is coming from your ignition switch...or going to.  I have a question myself.  If you put too small fuse between the battery to the starter would it pop?  Also what would be too small a fuse.

mpdlawdog

bigez04

Oh ok, so this isn't a new installment.  Did you buy a starter relay?  Any luck with it?  Also just for kicks....can you put it in neutral and try to start it again?

mpdlawdog

OK....new starter solenoid....no luck
took headlight plug apart no luck
checked all the grounds and sanded them...no luck
unplugged stereo no luck
I checked the bulk head connectors all looked good

The car not will start or get power to the starter...ignition switch?

should the car start in neutral?

does anybody have a pic of the fuse box and where everything should be hooked up?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: bigez04 on April 14, 2012, 09:56:28 AM
You take a screw driver to the big post on the relay and touch the tip to the small screw.  You're just making a jump connection with the screwdriver.
Eric
Don't forget to turn the key to the run position

bigez04

Ok you were testing power as you turn the key to the start position right?  If not, try that.  Did you replace the starter relay on the firewall?  Well any way check power as you try to turn the ignition over.  Is there any power coming off the ignition switch at all?
Eric
P.S.  Yea sorry forgot to mention that, ty Cudanut

Also, I can't find a fuse panel diagram anywhere.  I would make a new post requesting one.  Hopefully somebody can get you one.

moparfan53

Quote from: mpdlawdog on April 14, 2012, 04:32:25 PM
does anybody have a pic of the fuse box and where everything should be hooked up?

If a wiring diagram for the fuse box will help, here is a link to one.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68ChargerB.JPG

mpdlawdog

OK...first thanks for all the help!

I got the car started......the yellow going to the ignition had a bad connection at the back of it and the starter relay was actually bad....so I dug alittle futher to make sure everything worked....

I went through my fuse box and there is one connection that wiggled loose and a black wire that broke off...I got the connection back in place (thanks moparfan53)...........I cant tell where the black wire goes...I will take a pic when I get home....my fuse box looks rusty and there is alot of loose connections in there.... bad connections are in my future  :-\

resq302

:2thumbs:  glad to hear you got it up and running again!  now tackle those loose / corroded wires before they give you another headache when you don't need it the most.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bigez04

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House