News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What headlights are in your Charger?

Started by Kern Dog, February 26, 2012, 04:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I'm thinking of upgrading the lighting in my car. These cheapie 35/55 watt halogens don't put out enough light for safe night driving. Before anyone jumps in to suggest a wiring upgrade, I'll say thanks and that it IS on the list of things to do. I would prefer something with higher wattage, preferably with replaceable bulbs so i can tailor the output to what I like. What lamps did you choose for your car?

Plumcrazy

I don't drive much at night so I just put in a set of Sylvania Xtravisions.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

elacruze

Quote from: Plumcrazy on February 26, 2012, 09:56:41 AM
I don't drive much at night so I just put in a set of Sylvania Xtravisions.

Same here. I will eventually relay the lamps and use H4 bulbs, or maybe even go HID.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

471_Magnum

Your stock wiring (undersize wire, bulkhead connection, high beam switch, and dash switch) is limiting the current to whatever lamps you install. Do a voltage check at the lamps with them turned on and you'll see my point. You may not even find 10 volts at idle depending on alternator output and harness condition.

Stock wattage is plenty providing you are achieving the rated wattage. Get the relays first.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Kern Dog

Thanks. The reason that i asked about the headlights at this point is because one just burned out. Its THE time to step up.

471_Magnum

That's fine, but the worst thing you could do at this point is try to pull more amps through 42 year old wiring. Stuff will start to melt. The connector on the back of the switch will go first, followed closely by the bulkhead connector.

If you're not going to install relays, stick with stock wattage.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

404NOTFOUND

So, what is stock wattage? I remember sealed beams and then along came halogens. Can you even buy sealed beams anymore? I certainly can't find them. I actually like the dim lights because they give the car a real memorable, vintage look. I also like that I can spot vintage cars coming down the road by the dimmer lights. I have halogens and my headlight switch gets a little hot. Running high beams makes it scary hot. That concerns me more than having dim lights.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

471_Magnum

Brass

I'm using Sylvania Halogen headlights: H5001 (50 watt) and H5006 (35 watt).  They seem adequate.  The switch is stock but I bypassed the bulkhead connector.  So far so good - though I don't use the high beams that often.  

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Nacho-RT74

I have halogens sealed beams ( GE on outers and Wagner on inners ). Wiring and terminals ( even at bulhead ) supports the load. The only problem could be the switch, so thats the reason for relays.

as usual, upgrade alternator and blah blah blah is mandatory to save the dimming
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

I got Halogens in all the cars...no problems at all with wiring...

now...in the black 66 I got, I put aircraft landing lights for the high beams...had to use a relay, when they are on, you can hold yer hand about 6" in front of the lights and it will get kinda hot

Bryan ( have never lost a high-beam headlight fight yet)

ChargerST

Quote from: A383Wing on February 28, 2012, 10:49:16 PM

now...in the black 66 I got, I put aircraft landing lights for the high beams...had to use a relay, when they are on, you can hold yer hand about 6" in front of the lights and it will get kinda hot

Bryan ( have never lost a high-beam headlight fight yet)

hahaha, nice job with the landing lights! Would love to see a video of them in operation  :icon_smile_big:

elacruze

IIRC those landing lights draw something like 40 amps each! How long can you leave them on before you kill the battery?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ChargerST

They're not that bad. Most 12V landing lights are "only" 100W which would be 7-8 amps each. Google Q4509 landing lights (Q stands for quartz - better than the old 4509 bulbs) - they're very bright but only last about 100 hours.

A383Wing

I have had these in since the late 70's...they are the older version that's not quartz...I have never left them on to see how long it will take to kill the battery....but I do know they draw a lot of power...with engine running just above idle, and with high beams on..my alt gauge needle is almost pegged to max on the right

I can try and get a video of these turning on is ya want.....plus I can get an infrared thermometer temp for ya as well....

these bulbs are stamped right on the rear of the back side "Not legal for highway use, aircraft or marine use only"

Bryan