News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake light issue

Started by TXcharger70, February 06, 2012, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

OK so yesterday I was trying to fix my taillights. When I press the brake the drivers side all 3 bulbs light up but the passenger side only the far right.bulb lights up. If I have the park lights on they work on both sides except for the passenger side far right bulb is not to bright when pressing the brake. an some shed some light on this?

maxwellwedge

Try swapping a "good" bulb with the "bad" bulb and see what happens.

TXcharger70

Ok I will try that but they where all new bulbs. Would a bad bulb cause the others not to come on?

billschroeder5842

Try looking at the grounds for each of the buld sockets. Since you are getting electricity to the back of the car, sounds to me as if the problem is in your housings.
Texas Proud!

histoy

If improving the ground doesn't solve the problem, then check this.  The connections inside the sockets are spring loaded.   Sometimes they get corroded and don't push out to make a good connection with the bulb.  If that happens, I spray WD40 inside the socket and take a screwdriver to push on the connection to free it.  I also use a small wire brush to clean the inside of the socket.  You might check to see if that's the problem.

TXcharger70

I tried the bulb swap with same result. I did find out I was not having a good connection from the fuse and fuse box. Now the problem I have is that when I have the headlights on the right turn signal does not blink or it is very weak and slow for both sides. When I have the headlights off it works fine but when braking not as bright on the right side.

resq302

I had an intermittent issue with one of the tail light bulbs.  Think it was on the brake light side and not the parking light part but it would work and then not work.  Turns out it was a loose wire or the spring was not strong enough to make constant contact with the one side of the bulb causing it to go off and on.  Cut out and spliced in a new socket and no more problems!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

it's probably a bad bulb, ground, or socket....if the far right one works, you have just proved that the wire running back there is good

Bryan

TXcharger70

That's what I am thinking. I think it is a bad socket and it the far right brake light. I now remember when I would take out and reinstall the bulb had little bit of connection issues. Going to replace it this week and see what happens. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what happens

Cooter

You stated that "All three light up when brake is applied on the left side"...If this is a 2nd Gen. Charger, then only the two outside bulbs should work when brake is applied. The inner most bulb should be a single contact with a round globe. Small bulb. I think the number should be something like a 67.

Sounds like you have some wiring that's been hacked or something.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on February 17, 2012, 08:01:55 AM
I think the number should be something like a 67.

I believe it's #97...

I made all 3 on my 70 light up on each side when brake & turn signal applied

Bryan

TXcharger70

Quote from: A383Wing on February 17, 2012, 10:42:52 PM
Quote from: Cooter on February 17, 2012, 08:01:55 AM
I think the number should be something like a 67.

I believe it's #97...

I made all 3 on my 70 light up on each side when brake & turn signal applied

Bryan

How did you make bothsides light up I know I have the left lighting up but would like to make the right as well. I haven't been able to go out and mess with it. It has been raining quite a bit down here.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: TXcharger70 on February 11, 2012, 10:58:44 PM
I tried the bulb swap with same result. I did find out I was not having a good connection from the fuse and fuse box. Now the problem I have is that when I have the headlights on the right turn signal does not blink or it is very weak and slow for both sides. When I have the headlights off it works fine but when braking not as bright on the right side.
with the lights off it is grounding back through the light circuit , with the lights on there is no ground connection , celan the ground , you may have to stake the socket to the housing to recreate the ground there .

b5blue

Behind the kick panel next to your emergency brake is a main connector for all of the wiring for the rear of the car. It's a place you could be loosing signal if any connections are weak or corroded there.  :scratchchin:

A383Wing

Quote from: TXcharger70 on February 18, 2012, 10:05:39 AM

How did you make bothsides light up I know I have the left lighting up but would like to make the right as well. I haven't been able to go out and mess with it. It has been raining quite a bit down here.

I put an 1157 bulb & socket on the 2 inside lights of the tail lights and wired them into the middle light

Bryan