News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Twist Question

Started by JMF, February 18, 2012, 12:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

I may be going to look at a 68, the thing is it has been raced a lot in the past so i've been told to look for any signs of body twist on the car as in the past it has ran some pretty respectable times(mid 10's), it has never been tubbed or been a full on racecar but it has used Nitrous in the past, so my question is, what am I to look for in terms of any body twist? I'm assuming bad panel alignment etc ? Thanks

Dino

It is unlikely that the body would twist.  Flex yes, quite a bit, but to keep it twisted you'd need to do a bit more than run quarter miles.  That said, look for misalligned body panels, cracks in the paint, popped spot welds and funky looking rails.  Again the power transferred to the body would not cause it to twist, the suspension would be ripped off the car first.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

elacruze

Check the quarter panels for flatness, and have a close look at the door striker pins-I've seen some ripped clean out of the car.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Mike DC

A typical dragstrip tweak leaves the rear driver's door gap (the vertical gap between the back edge of the door and the leading edge of the quarter) wider at the top than the bottom. 

maxwellwedge

Mid 10's with a stick car and no frame ties is going to have some stuff going on for sure.....Auto - not as bad.

JMF

c00nhunterjoe

Definatly look at the door strkers. I have just about ripped mine off of the drivers side and the passenger is cracked pretty bad.

squeakfinder

Does the passenger door open and close smoothly?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

JMF

So if I find these things is it to be avoided do you think? I assume it affects the way the car drives?