News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column/Dash Cluster...

Started by Surf Charger, February 14, 2012, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

Hey guys,

Any tips on removing the fat part of the steering column right below the steering wheel? Also, is this necessary to remove in order to get the gauge cluster out?

thanks!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Darkman

Quote from: Surf Charger on February 14, 2012, 03:49:16 PM
Hey guys,

Any tips on removing the fat part of the steering column right below the steering wheel? Also, is this necessary to remove in order to get the gauge cluster out?

thanks!

I dropped the steering column to get my cluster out mainly because of the column shift
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

charger01

no need to drop steering column on floor shift models to remove cluster.  thinking I had to unhook wires from the back left to right.  but it back in just the opposite.

Surf Charger

It's a '69. My main problem is getting to the turn signal stem. Got the steering wheel off, unbolted what was behind the steering wheel...but can't seem to get the collar off (that mates up flush to the back of the steering wheel.

469 runner

There is a snapring right above the upper bearing. This will have to be removed. You'll have to unscrew and move aside the turn signal switch to see it.  The upper bearing has a slight interference fit to the steering shaft but should pull free with some persuasion.

Rolling_Thunder

You don't have to remove that collar to get the cluster out - simply loosen the bolts on the firewall and the three nuts off the bottom of the column bracket - this will allow the steering column to drop about 2" - more than enough room to get the cluster out -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bill440rt

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 15, 2012, 01:52:35 AM
You don't have to remove that collar to get the cluster out - simply loosen the bolts on the firewall and the three nuts off the bottom of the column bracket - this will allow the steering column to drop about 2" - more than enough room to get the cluster out -

x2  :iagree:

Simple procedure as RT described. No need to remove or disassemble the column. Just drop/lower it, lay it on the seat, and the cluster will come out.
Just be prepared for lots of little cuts & scraped knuckles!  :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

gtx6970

IMO, if you go as far to remove the bolts holding it to the dash and to the firewall,
Just unplug it and knock the roll pin of of the coupler and remove the column altogether and get it out of your way

histoy

Be careful if you decide to drop down the column.   If you let it drop too far, it can pull apart the clamp for the coupler seal.   I learned this the hard way...

Surf Charger

Quote from: bill440rt on February 15, 2012, 08:01:29 AM

x2  :iagree:

Simple procedure as RT described. No need to remove or disassemble the column. Just drop/lower it, lay it on the seat, and the cluster will come out.
Just be prepared for lots of little cuts & scraped knuckles!  :icon_smile_big:

Hah! I already have a ton of scrapes and cuts on my knuckles just from owning a Charger!

Surf Charger

Quote from: histoy on February 15, 2012, 08:19:17 AM
Be careful if you decide to drop down the column.   If you let it drop too far, it can pull apart the clamp for the coupler seal.   I learned this the hard way...

I'll let it down an inch or so and use a ratchet strap to hold it up. I only need about 1/2 inch to get the cluster out. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!