News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel gauge

Started by C928BRAN, February 03, 2012, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C928BRAN

went to put gas in my 69 charger, for the first time today. i put in 5 gallons, so my gauge should read about a quarter of a tank. when i turned the key on i looked at the gauge, and it only moved, like a hair, barely enough to see it move. everything is new, except the gauge, and everything is grounded. and ideas on what could be wrong?

thanks, craig

404NOTFOUND

Every car I've ever known and especially older Mopars seem to read very low when the fuel level is low. Fill it right up. It should read full for some time then drop steadily and faster still near the bottom. Are you sure it was 5 gallons or 5 liters or maybe 5 bucks. :smilielol:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

C928BRAN

filled up a 5 gallon jug

terrible one

With a new sending unit, you are likely going to have to bend it down until it reads accurately. If you do a search, there are lots of threads on that battle.

If you are lucky, it is a ground issue. Is your sending unit grounded?

C928BRAN

yes, i actually grounded the sending unit straight to the body, instead of using the factory strap

terrible one

If you ground the blue wire that connects to the sending unit then turn the key on, does the gauge peg to full?  (if it does don't let it hang out there long!)

nvrbdn

thanks for getting this going. im gona check the ground connection and then ground the  wire next if it doesnt pan out with the ground connection. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House