News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Pad--Is 68 Chgr different than 69-70 Chgr?

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 11, 2012, 11:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Wanted to make sure about whether the 68 dash pad was different than the 69-70.

Brock Lee

Yes, it comes to a point in the middle whereas the 69-70 is straight across.

Chatt69chgr

golden_commando

Hey, I was looking for a dash pad for my 68 R/t and I can't find a green one. So I would like to know if they were black even with the green interior
By Johnatan

Chatt69chgr

Don't think so.  My interior is green and so is the dash pad.  Also, the metal dash is painted with the flat grainy type paint (organasol?).  The metal interior trim around the windows is painted with the same stuff.  The interior plastic is green.  I've also noticed that the green plastic is much more prone to breakage than the black is.  When I removed the green plugs out of the doors they just fell apart and crumbled.  I've removed black ones that were still supple.  The exposed metal around the doors is dark green gloss.  And headliner is green as were the seat belts and buckles.

Troy

Quote from: golden_commando on January 22, 2012, 07:21:04 PM
Hey, I was looking for a dash pad for my 68 R/t and I can't find a green one. So I would like to know if they were black even with the green interior
The pad would have been green. The reproductions only come in black (I believe) but they can be dyed easily.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

Quote from: Troy on January 23, 2012, 09:49:51 AM
The pad would have been green. The reproductions only come in black (I believe) but they can be dyed easily.

Troy

Yes... and no.
Some of the inferior reproductions are just molded urethane with no vinyl covering. They cannot be dyed.
The better repros (B/EA, Legendary, etc) are covered in vinyl as the originals were. They can be dyed.
:Twocents:   :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

Quote from: bill440rt on January 23, 2012, 09:53:29 AM

Troy

Yes... and no.
Some of the inferior reproductions are just molded urethane with no vinyl covering. They cannot be dyed.
The better repros (B/EA, Legendary, etc) are covered in vinyl as the originals were. They can be dyed.
Interesting, I didn't know there were inferior reproductions. I thought only BE&A and Legendary were making them.

Troy

bill440rt

Some of the earlier ones sold by other reproduction parts vendors did not have the metal insert frame. Others were just a molded urethane pad. I believe they were started being reproduced sometime in the late '90's??
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

I never counted those as anything viable. Maybe I was blocking them from my memory? ;)

Troy

golden_commando

Quote from: Troy on January 23, 2012, 11:04:24 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 23, 2012, 09:53:29 AM

Troy

Yes... and no.
Interesting, I didn't know there were inferior reproductions. I thought only BE&A and Legendary were making them.

Troy

So, I need one all new green interior for my 68. Does the BE&A have a good quality as Legendary's ones?
By Johnatan

bill440rt

I can't speak for the '68 pads, I've never seen one next to an original to compare it to.

I have seen the '69/'70 pads from B/EA. They look very nice & fit well, however they are shaped slightly different around the center underneath where the heat/AC controls would be. Not a huge deal, & if you saw it mounted in a car alone you wouldn't know the difference. But, placed side by side with an original the differences are obvious.
Haven't seen any of the Legendary pads in person yet.

golden_commando

I just asked pg classics and they replied that they have the green dash pad for the 68
By Johnatan

Troy

Quote from: golden_commando on January 23, 2012, 03:39:19 PM
I just asked pg classics and they replied that they have the green dash pad for the 68
PG is BE&A (for the most part). Generally the BE&A parts will have the factory markings/part numbers and will be slightly more expensive due to the licensing fees they have to pay Mopar.

Troy

gtx6970

hope it fits better than there 67 B-body pad

bill440rt

Quote from: Troy on January 23, 2012, 04:42:40 PM
PG is BE&A (for the most part). Generally the BE&A parts will have the factory markings/part numbers and will be slightly more expensive due to the licensing fees they have to pay Mopar.

Troy

I don't think their dash pads have any "factory markings" on them.