News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please explain the evolution of B body trans mounts from 66 to 74

Started by 67Charger440, January 16, 2012, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67Charger440

What year (if any) did the auto and 4 speed share a cross member?

Is my '68 auto cross member compatible with either version of the 4 speed tail?

What year did it switch to spool?

Why are there 2 different mount pad locations between 69/70

I know the tail added the E-body location for '70, but the pad moved forward about 3 inches.

I see some cross members advertised as a direct for for either auto or manual.   

Cooter

The '66-'70 Crossmembers will interchange, but in order to run a 4-speed mount on an automatic mount, you need to modify the auto crossmember. Same thing applys to the reverse, as the auto has a "Cage" in front welded to it. They can be made to work, but better if you get the correct one. As far as the '71-'74? I don't do those cars. Not real sure on what your referring to on the Two different trans mounts for the straight drives. All I've ever seen from '66-'70 at least, were in the same place regardless if it was a 1970 and later trans or not. i could be mistaken, but I don't think so.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

67Charger440

Here's a pic of the difference.  The '69 housing came off a Super Bee, the other pic is from an eBay ad.

Is the '68 auto usable by ditching the cage and mounting inside the channel?

What about the years for the different bolt sizes?

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

John_Kunkel

The spool transmission mount came along in '69 on the C-body, '70 on the B-body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

67Charger440

OK, so I have a '69 833 that will be going onto my '68 that was originally an auto.  I just need to cut off the "basket" on the auto cross member and then mount inside the cross member with some appropriate gusseting.  I have no problem doing so, I just wanted to know if I needed to go find an entirely different piece to start with or if a later one would be a direct bolt in.

Chryco Psycho

If you used a later 4 spd it will bolt directly onto the Autop crossmember , with a 69 4 spd you need to modifiy the crossmember or find a 4 speed one , What I did was modifiy the 70 crossmember to the spool type mount as it is a better design anyway .
The spool mount starts in 70 with the E body & 71 in the B body

flyinlow

In the beginning ,1966, God brought forth the big block Charger. It went forth and dominated the earth.

Later God restyled the Charger so it could be driven by two Hillbilly's and their smokin' hot cousin in a TV show.

In 1970 God took a bolt from the rib of a Charger , surrounded it with a rubber donut and brought forth the spool mount. ("73 for engine mounts)

Next year God brought forth the Third Generation Charger, the pinnacle of automotive design. Men with names like Petty and Baker would drive these Chargers, after church on Sundays, to win many Nascar races.

In 1974, God looked back on the domain of the Charger and saw that it was good.

In 1975 God rested.

As you see , it was Divine inspiration, not evolution that brought forth the spool mount.