News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Installation

Started by 70charger2006, October 28, 2011, 01:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger2006

Well I attempted to try the install on my column again today in my 70 Charger with no luck. The coupler just doesn't want to seat all of the way on the gearbox. I was able to get it on about 3/4 of the way. I only had about 1/8 of an inch left. The only way I was able to do this was by tapping the shaft with a rubber hammer (which I shouldn't have done). I ended up pulling the column back out and took the bottom coupler apart. Of course by me tapping the shaft I broke the spring on the shoes. I tried to put just the coupler on the box and still it only went on the same distance.

I noticed on the coupler the master spline looks to have a little bit of damage like it had been put on wrong in the past. The gearbox is brand new and all the splines look good. So I am not sure if I'm just doing this wrong or what? Should I replace the coupler? Does any store sell them?

Also when I was trying to install the column, the shaft seemed to be pulled all of the way out of the coupler when it was on the gearbox. The SM says it should only be about an inch from seal to hole in the shaft.

Any Ideas?????
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

greasyspider

I had the same issue with my steering wheel.  Used a needle file to clean up the marring. I would rove the coupler from the column to test fit on the box. 
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

bill440rt

The coupler should not seat all the way down to the base on the gearbox. There is concave "relief" cut around the circumference of the splined shaft. That should line up with the hole bored in the coupler, for the roll pin to go thru. Just insert the coupler on the splined steering box shaft, lining up the hole in the coupler with the relief on the shaft. Make sure the seal on the column then is lined up 1" or so from the marking hole on the column.

If it is the splines, you can clean them up with a file or a small, thin hacksaw blade as greasyspider suggested.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70charger2006

Quote from: bill440rt on October 28, 2011, 08:25:38 AM
The coupler should not seat all the way down to the base on the gearbox. There is concave "relief" cut around the circumference of the splined shaft. That should line up with the hole bored in the coupler, for the roll pin to go thru. Just insert the coupler on the splined steering box shaft, lining up the hole in the coupler with the relief on the shaft. Make sure the seal on the column then is lined up 1" or so from the marking hole on the column.

If it is the splines, you can clean them up with a file or a small, thin hacksaw blade as greasyspider suggested.

I meant to say that I have about 1/8th of an inch of splines left before the roll pin is able to be put in. The master spline on the coupler looks like a "regular" spline started to go on it. It has a groove on it about half way down.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

70charger2006

I tried again today to get the coupler on without it on the column. With some tapping it was able to go fully on the gearbox. I pulled it off and put it back on about 3 times. Each time I still had to tap it. Once it is put on the column I'm afraid I will still have to tap it. I just don't want to break another spring or break the seal retainer on the coupler. Is there any other way?
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

69rtse4spd

Make a tool that clamps around the column with padding, like you use on the torsion bars. Use a split collar of the right size I.D. welded to a small block to tap on. Should work just fine, good luck.

gtx6970

with a small file clean the threads.
the coupler body should slide all the way on the shaft with no force required.

DO NOT hammer on the coupler body to install it

b5blue

Are you greasing it before installing? On my 70 I made certain it went on nice and smooth before final assembly. Keep in mind there is an indicator on the shaft to gauge it's located proper depth to the coupler. The FSM shows a collar that centers the shaft in the tube also, try finding that tool! I found propping the column up with boxes, wood and rags inside so it "floats and slides" really helpful. Any cocking at the coupler from the column will halt progress, it's tricky and could require someone inside to wiggle the column while you move the coupler. If you can't just slide the coupler on and off the input shaft on the steering box before assembled I'd get another if it can't be fixed. 

71charger

I was in the exact same problem as you were on my 71. I had to hit it with a hammer to fit the sob on there. there was no way other than that. I didnt brake anything and it works just fine for me.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81341.msg914083.html#msg914083
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

With any hammering I'd be worried about damaging the shear pins in the column which worst case would lead to steering failure...

Orange Bird

Keep your column loose in the in the dash mount holes. Let it hang in the dash in a loosely bolted position (by the 3 bolts). The column mount has elongated holes (plastic pieces mount in slotted grooves) you may need to slide in a manner to give more clearance. If everything else fails maybe the column was set down too hard or pushed in too hard and the steering shaft started to collapse some. Seat the clean spline then tighten the column inside the car. As has been mentioned before a triangular file on both the box shaft and internal splines in the coupler. If memory serves a 68-70 shaft (w/o coupler) should be 42" for a PS unit and + 2" for a manual. Its been a while since I had to measure one.

Good Luck
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

gtx6970

The coupler should slide down on the steering box shaft splines with minimul effort - if not something is amiss. take a small trangle file and clean up the splines in the coupler or the shaft , slowly  untill it does.