News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help with engine tune severe engine bog after switching to aluminum heads

Started by 440charger68, November 08, 2011, 10:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

heres my motor stats
Factory rebuilt 600cfm 4160 holley carb, new 37 squirter and number 67 jets
Intake is a edelbrock airgap
Cam its a lunati vodoo lift 475/494 Dur 262/268, i did not degree cam. I know i should of but u put it in when i didnt know better
Summit tube type headers
Edelbrock performer rpm heads cast number 60779
My timing cover is a 68 and my harmonic balancer is off a 1970 challenger timing mark is in a different place so i have a notch where top dead center is.
My distributur is a pro comp with msd wires
you know i feel like i have cut corners by not degreeing the cam so im thinkin about strippin it down and starting from scratch i must have done somethin wrong cause it has worsen cant even drive my car without it dying 

:brickwall:
life's a garden, dig it.

BSB67

Don't take it apart without first figuring out what is wrong, or at least a good idea.  You might never find the problem if you tear the engine down now.  Not degreeing the cam will not make it run worse today than yesterday.

Do the vacuum test.
Check your plugs (could be the reason for the deterioation)
Do a cylinder pressure test
Change oil and look for metal
remove valve covers and check valve train

After you do those things - report back.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

71bee

I blame our new & unimproved fuel for allotta these old engine issues. my Bee & ol' motorhome don't run near as good as they did even just a few years ago.