News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woman Steals Her Own Stolen Bike Back

Started by Old Moparz, November 10, 2011, 04:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

This is a cool story, too bad more missing cars & parts aren't recovered this way.   :2thumbs:

-----------------------------------------

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/colorado-woman-spots-stolen-bike-craigslist-steals-back-164456345.html

Colorado Woman Spots Stolen Bike on Craigslist, Steals it Back

A Colorado woman took matters into her own hands when her bike was stolen from outside of a Boulder sports bar. She tracked down her stolen bike on Craigslist, pretended to be an interested buyer and stole back her own bike.

Kathryn Lucas, 25, parked her bike outside of a bar where she went to watch a University of Colorado football game on the night of Oct. 4, according to ABC News' Denver affiliate KMGH.

When she left the bar to head home, she discovered that her black Trek 1.2 road bike was missing. After filing a police report, she and her roommate began searching Craigslist to see if the thief was trying to sell the bike.

Sure enough, Lucas found a posting with a photo of her bike.  She immediately recognized her bike's red handle-bar tape and her water bottle holder.

Lucas responded to the Craigslist ad, pretending to be an interested buyer. Minutes later, a person using the name "Lance Robinson" responded with his phone number and instructed her to text him so he could send her his address.

On Sunday, Lucas went to the man's apartment complex and asked if she could test ride the bike.

"I started riding it and knew it was my bike, so I just kept riding it," Lucas told KMGH. "I rode it to my car and then threw it it in my car and then drove away."

Lucas said she had not been planning on getting the bike back that way, but took advantage of an opportunity and made a spur-of-the-moment decision.

"They were a lot bigger than I thought they were," Lucas said. "I thought it'd be like a little person that stole bikes and I'd be like, 'Hey, I called the police and that's my bike and you're trying to sell it to me,' but I just took it for a ride and went with it."

After she had recovered her bike, Lucas called the police and gave them the thief's address. "Lance Robinson" turned out to be 18-year-old Denzel O'Neal Crawford, who did not have a prior police record.

Crawford was arrested, confessed to stealing the bike and was released on bond. Police also told Lucas that, though her recovery mission was successful, it was not a tactic they recommend, according to KMGH.

"They told me for future reference that I probably would not want to do that by myself," Lucas said.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dans 68

Reminds me of some friends that had their home shop burglarized decades ago. The thieves stole a gas welding outfit, which included tanks, hoses and torches. My friends kept an eye on the classifieds in the local newspapers and they ultimately found some similar welding equipment for sale. They visited the owners, saw that the tanks were theirs (everyone knows their own tanks by their dings and markings) and proceeded to take the equipment back, telling the seller that these were stolen and they had better stay out of the way. They also took a few other items they saw for their trouble....  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TK73

:rofl: :rofl:

If she had reported it to the cops they would have F-ed up the case anyways...

First; would have taken days to get a case assigned (bike sold by then)
Second; IF they recovered the bike it would have been in impound for months (and probably lost or sold in auction)

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

RallyeMike

Pretty gutsy for a woman to face those guys.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1970Moparmann

I give her all the credit I can for this.... Great job. :2thumbs:   

I plan on doing the same some some ass bag tries this on me.  :nana:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Silver R/T

Awesome! That punk kid got away easy, now he knows where she lives and could seek revenge.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

I was hoping it was a Motorcycle, not a bicycle.  :shruggy:

67440chrg

I like the out come of this story. There are not many things I hate more than a thief. It is low life to do it. Good for her. Years ago I worked for Someone who had a construction trailer broken in to and a lot of tools stolen they made a report. found a person selling the tools at a swap meet and called the Kansas city mo police. they would not even come to do anything for them.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 11, 2011, 06:20:05 PM
Awesome! That punk kid got away easy, now he knows where she lives and could seek revenge.
The way I read it...SHE knows where he lives, not the other way around. The only thing he knows about her is her cell number & the bar she hangs at.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)