News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

weird noise from under...

Started by cavemanno1, November 13, 2011, 05:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

hi!i have heard 3times so far that when i put the car in park or gear(automatic)a thump noise from the floorpan!a loud bang like you push a metal panel in!it happened rarely and the car shifts smothly!it got me worrid tho!is something wrong?thanks

FLG

Check your U-Joints.

What is your rpm in park?

Chryco Psycho

broken trans mount is a possibilty as well

FLG

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 13, 2011, 07:03:13 AM
broken trans mount is a possibilty as well

:yesnod:

That too. Had some funny noises when one of the bolts backed out and fell off, also had some funny noises with a messed up u-joint.

cavemanno1

thanks guys,it has done it only3time so if something was broken wouldnt it be doing it a lot?gosh,things keep getting out!we fix her more then we drive her!i know  all cars like that,they say!the rpm,ah,dont have a tic-tac toe but it sounds all good but i know nothing about cars!will check u joints and trans mounts!thanks again

elacruze

Check your muffler hangars, could be an occasional thump against the body.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1970Moparmann

I have the same issue.  It's a PITA to get under my car since I lowered it, and so far I've been under it 4 times.  Each time I have found something, mostly had to re torque a bolt or two, but not the main issue yet.   The odd thing is it happens when the car is cold.   Once it is warm, it is almost non existent.   I checked the hangers, trans mount, the last thing is the U-joints.  They are new though, so that's why I've thinking this isn't the problem.

I'll probably have to wait until I can get it on a lift / rack and have it run while I'm under it.

Let us know what you find.  BTW, mine seems to be only on the drivers side, what about you?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

cavemanno1

yeah,ours does it when its cold as well!can't really tell which side of it making the thump noise!doest do it all the time when its cold just 3times so far!the last time she did it got me worried because done it last month and never before!500miles and now things comming out ,oil leaks,engine,trans and now this noise!hopefuly all problems get fixed over the winter!thanks

firefighter3931

If it's making this noise when cold my guess is that the idle speed is higher due to choke operation so when you shift into gear it "clunks"  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cavemanno1

hi Ron!so how come it only does it a few times not always!we never drive her without warming up the engine first but when you drove a few min and stop then it happened if i changed the gear!thanks Peter