News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lynch Road Quality Control

Started by Aero426, March 03, 2012, 07:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

I have been looking for this photo for a couple years, and finally found it in the mess that is my basement.    I am going to post it before it vanishes into the abyss again.    This is the firewall of a 28k mile original paint Superbird.  The Lynch Road workers left a special message written in seam sealer visible once the engine was removed.   I've never seen anything else like it.

Ghoste

Wow, some UAW "brother" was having a bad day huh?

WINGIN IT

I'm more curious to know why the message is upside down.
Were the body shells inverted and some point during the building process?

terrible one

Ha! Wow. That beats someone signing "Jo" on the inside of my upper door pad!

Indygenerallee

:lol: Thats hilarious, my Grandfather owned a Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth dealership from 1965-1991 and I have been told NUMEROUS stories about crap that came off the car hauler, his service manager was a great mechanic and as a young boy I shadowed him and learned a LOT of my car knowledge from him lot's of little tricks! Anyway he told me once they had car believe he said it was a 67 Belvedere and he said it had a rattle in it going down the road and it went through all the techs and nobody could figure it out, they finally pin pointed the noise was coming from the transmission so they pulled it out and tore it apart and he said in the tailshaft housing they found a bolt that had a paper tag that read "ha ha finally found me". Gramps said they would get cars in and half the firewall would not be painted, rockers he said it was a regular mess. Good ol' late 60's early 70's QC!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

tan top

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 03, 2012, 11:07:54 PM
:lol: Thats hilarious, my Grandfather owned a Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth dealership from 1965-1991 and I have been told NUMEROUS stories about crap that came off the car hauler, his service manager was a great mechanic and as a young boy I shadowed him and learned a LOT of my car knowledge from him lot's of little tricks! Anyway he told me once they had car believe he said it was a 67 Belvedere and he said it had a rattle in it going down the road and it went through all the techs and nobody could figure it out, they finally pin pointed the noise was coming from the transmission so they pulled it out and tore it apart and he said in the tailshaft housing they found a bolt that had a paper tag that read "ha ha finally found me". Gramps said they would get cars in and half the firewall would not be painted, rockers he said it was a regular mess. Good ol' late 60's early 70's QC!!

:lol:  thats funny , but anoying for the guys trying to find it  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

62 Max

Probably in union contract negotiations ! ::)

odcics2

I guess it would be hard to find a "rattling" bolt in a tail shaft.  You'd have to be driving over some very severe bumps to get enough chassis motion past the rubber trans insulators to do that...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RallyeMike

Good thing it photographed so it can be reproduced in excruciating detail in the restoration.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TUFCAT

some cursive was learned before dropping out of 8th grade...  :yesnod:

odcics2

Be nice guys: Fred Schrandt and the late Larry Knowlton were UAW members.  Don't just lump everyone in a class is all I'm saying... 

Ghoste

As a former autoworker myself I have few unpopular thoughts on the subject.  Setting that aside for the moment, you can't really call the photo in question an example of good workmanship.

hemigeno

Quote from: WINGIN IT on March 03, 2012, 09:00:34 PM
I'm more curious to know why the message is upside down.
Were the body shells inverted and some point during the building process?

To my knowledge, no - the shell was not inverted once the body started taking shape.  Maybe at the unibody frame stage, but I don't think it was past that point.

My guess is that the message was written on the firewall before it was joined to the cowl and floor pan sections, when it was simply a contoured/stamped sheet of semi-flat metal.  That's just a guess though.  The writing would have been covered in paint later in the build process, and it looks to me like the paint just flaked off over the years.

:o

Indygenerallee

I think your right Stuart, I can see it now as the parts went on down the line or the next area the guy that wrote this must have had a beef with the guy next in line!!! :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Magnumcharger

Or, the guy was in the car, applying seam sealer, and he leaned out through the front windsheild opening (before dash and glass installation), over the cowl and wrote his message.

The drivetrain incuding the engine, transmission and front K member along with the suspension would have been underneath as the body was dropped down on it. Perhaps it was a message to a buddy down in the engine installation line?

Just a thought.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 12, 2012, 05:49:53 PM
Or, the guy was in the car, applying seam sealer, and he leaned out through the front windsheild opening (before dash and glass installation), over the cowl and wrote his message.

The drivetrain incuding the engine, transmission and front K member along with the suspension would have been underneath as the body was dropped down on it. Perhaps it was a message to a buddy down in the engine installation line?

Just a thought.

That's just what i was going to say.  It would be very easy to do from inside the vehicle leaning out of the windshield opening.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Ghoste

It could have also been a message for a supervisor or qc inspector.  Or even just some guy with a real poor outlook and it was a message for us all.

odcics2

Or maybe mad at the plant manager for pushing the line speed well beyond quality capabilities, just so he can get his HUGE bonus check for total units produced. 

Ghoste

I don't know maybe.  Then again I suppose he had time to do that so he couldn't have been too busy. :lol:

404NOTFOUND

Maybe it was a message for anyone who would dare to remove the numbers matching engine. The message may have even come from the car itself. Sort of like the girls stomach in the movie "The Exorcist". :o
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

resq302

Thats just too funny.  I agree though that it probably was written when the windshield had not been installed yet.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto