News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 trim question

Started by fireguyfire, October 30, 2011, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

I have now installed the vinyl top on my 68, and am starting to put the trim back on. I did not disassemble the car, so I'm not 100% sure as to the order of reapplication.
I am wondering how to install the stainless trim piece that goes along the bottom of the rear 1/4 window; that part is obvious, but the piece has the corner attached that wraps up onto the vinyl top drip rail moulding. My questions are 1) how do you get that corner around the bottom of the drip rail, as well as the tabs down into the window channel without destroying the paint? Do you tip it way back, and the slide it over the drip rail, and then lower it into position at the window channel?
2) Looks like this piece goes on first, then the long drip rail curved piece alone the tops of the side windows, then the "A" pillar piece last; is that right?

'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

twodko

Top ' the day to you! You're on the right track. As you know the belt trim that includes the rear corners does go on first and you must take you time with it. I covered the whole body area from the trim location 6 inches down using 2 inch wide blue painters tape to protect my new paint. After this I placed the belt molding piece as close to final position as possible and then tilted the bottom flange in place. The bottom flange is the tricky part hence all the tape protection. I lifted/tilted it up just enough to get it in place and down in the window channel then slid it fully into place. The flange will lightly scrape against the tape....just be careful and you'll have not problem. The rear corner section should snug up to the drip rail end. When you attach the drip rail molding itself it will cover about 1/2" of the corner piece. Start at this end and move up to the pillar post. Pillar piece goes on last then the corner clip. The flange that slips in to the window channel should be held in place by at least 2 tiny screws (at least mine did). I used one of those screwdriver tools that have both ends bent 90* and 2 sizes of Phillips heads. My quarter glass was already in place so getting the forward most of these tiny screws in place and tight was a PITA. Has to be easier without the glass. If you have one of the telescoping magnet head wand tools it will be your friend if you drop one of the little screws in the quarter glass cavity. Good luck.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

fireguyfire

Thanks Tom!
One more question; I didn't disassemble the car, so I am trying to match up the box of fasteners with their original locations; on the same trim piece I was asking about (the one at the bottom of the rear 1/4 window with the curve attached for the rear of the drip rail) what type of fasteners are used to screw/bolt that moulding to the inside of the window slot (I see the keepers are there, just not sure if you use screws, or small bolts to fasten it to the rear 1/4 where the outside cats whisker goes)?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

twodko

They are tiny Phillips pan head machine screws. 4 of them should be plenty....2 per side.....thats all I had on my car. Call Tom at R/T sSpecialties and tell him what you need. Seems this guy has every fastener Ma Mopar ever used. His phone may ring a bit but he will answer. Good luck. :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!