News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering wheel options

Started by Vainglory, Esq., November 03, 2011, 02:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vainglory, Esq.

My Charger was made drivable and licensable with a crappy steering wheel that was just lying around the shop.  I believe it came off of a 70s C-Body (?). 

In any case, now that winter is sneaking up on us, I'm planning on replacing it with something that doesn't look stupid.  Anyone have any suggestions for a cost-effective aftermarket wheel?  Something that preferably looks like a '70 woodgrain wheel, but I'm not terribly picky since it's not stock anyway.  Pictures are appreciated.  Thanks.

Dino

You can find the woodgrain wheels for a decent price unrestored and they look really nice imo.  Even if you buy one that needs the spokes cleaned and has a cracked plastic rim you can epoxy the rim and put a nice cover on it.

I actually plan on taking a very bad condition woodgrain wheel and make it a bit smaller so my wife can drive the car, she's about the same size as the wheel.   :D
It's about a 14" wheel now so if I can take it down to 11 or 12 it should still look good.

I'll then either use real wood to make the rim or wrap it in leather.

Cheap and fast solution?  Find an original stock wheel, they look very nice in the Charger.  Aftermarket just doesn't do it for me in that car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Vainglory, Esq.

That's fair.  What's the going price for something of driver quality?  Don't want to overpay.

Dino

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 04, 2011, 02:27:59 PM
That's fair.  What's the going price for something of driver quality?  Don't want to overpay.

I saw a few on ebay and CL in my area recently.  One was $175, the other was $195.  Both looked like mine, rim was worn from use but they also had one or two splits that would have to be fixed with epoxy.  Eventually they all split.  Spokes were not new but pretty clean.  Good driver quality that can be made into a showpiece with some elbow grease.

The standard steering wheels I have no real numbers for but it should be way less than the woodgrain wheels.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.