News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

heads up regarding mopar HD leaf springs on 3rd gens

Started by RD, September 14, 2010, 12:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

I typed this in a question in the tech sub forum, but thought it may be good to see here.  Granted, this is my experience, so it may not encompass all vehicles and others experiences, but it maybe something to watch out for when purchasing and mounting the new leaf springs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you get the new Mopar HD leaf springs, be prepared for the passenger side wheel to be offset.  sometime after 2003, the leaf springs for both sides became generic, meaning cheaply made and not done to OE specs.  this caused the passenger side leaf spring to be exactly like the drivers side.  the difference is this, the front leaf spring shackle for the driver and passenger are NOT symmetrical.  the leaf spring bolt is in two different places.  due to the leaf springs being made the same, the passenger side rear wheel now becomes offset in the wheel well by about 1-1/2" backwards from its centerline.

now.. the solution to this is to get another driver side front leaf spring shackle and mount it to your passenger side.  this will allow each spring to rest correctly and allowing the axle and rear wheel to be centered correctly.

i had this happen on my 72 charger and moparguy01 had this happen on his 74 charger.  I fixed it by doing the above.  I know this did not happen in 2003, as the HD springs I bought back then are now on my 73 roadrunner and there are "no" centering issues of the rear pass wheel and axle.

just a heads up.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AmadeusCharger500

Is this still true? I need a set for my 73. Where should I look for a good item?