News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interesting 1.45:1 '66 Charger Diff Ratio?

Started by FastbackJon, October 18, 2011, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Jacked the back end up of my (newly acquired) white/red '66 318 automatic Charger and got under it.

I was able to spin the driveshaft around not quite 1.5 times (full 360 degree revolutions) before the rear tire spun completely around once.

What's up with that?

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

John_Kunkel

The spider gears in the differential have a 2-1 ratio so you double that number.

To get an accurate check, jack one tire only clear of the ground and turn it two full turns while counting the driveshaft turns...the driveshaft turns are the axle ratio.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

FastbackJon

Ah... interesting I did not know that. I figured it would be a straight ~3 turns of the driveshaft to 1 of the tire, but it looks like it's a 2.94.

Thanks!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV