News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why won't this car Fire??

Started by sixpack_sid, October 15, 2011, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm trying to get my 68 Charger running. I am getting nothing when I turn the key, not even a crank from the starter. I got the NSS harness hooked up and she still won't fire. I started checking the fuse box with a light tester. With the key on there is NO juice to the inst. panel, backup light, AC/heater, rear ac. I have juice to the Dome light, c/ltr, tail/stop lights. Moving to the eng. compartment, with the key still on I have NO juice to: coil, ballast resistor, alt reg IGN & FLD, starter relay-brown/yellow & yellow wires. There is juice to the wire on the starter relay that goes to the battery. There is also juice at the pos. cable on Alt.
Am I missing a ground somewhere? I DO NOT have the headlight harness hooked up yet. Would that cause it not to start? Is that harness part of the circuit loop? I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out!  :brickwall:    Anyone have any ideas??
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

I just came back in from the garage. I pulled the plug off the ign. switch and it seems I am only getting juice to one of the prongs on it. I'm assuming that the switch is working when I turn on the key because it is a brand new ign. switch. Then I pulled the plug off the dimmer switch to see if it had juice. I'm getting juice going into the dimmer switch, but not the feed that comes off of the inst. panel at the fuse box. So I put a jumper wire in the plug on the dimmer switch that had juice that led to the fuse panel. Then I had juice at the fuse box, but the inst. panel lights still didn't come on. Is the dimmer switch bad? Is there a way to test the dimmer switch?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Back N Black

Install a jumper wire from the blk/yellow wire to the tan wire and the dash should light up, by passing the dimmer part. 

Chryco Psycho

the blue wire at the ballast & voltage reg should have power with the key on , the coil should have 8 v not 12 , no power at th ecoil could be a bad ballast , but you should still have power @ the voltage regulator with the key on so that would be a no spark problem .
the cranking problem is the yellow wire at the relay should have power in the start position so have somoen chack for power in the crank position , if there is power there try shorting the other terminal with the brown wire to ground & see if it wil crank , if not the relay is probably bad , try shorting the two larger terminals on the relay if the starter cranks over the relay has to be bad

sixpack_sid

Thank you for all the replies, but I think John Kunkel nailed it on my other post "nss switch"!  :2thumbs: Who would have thought a brand new ign switch & lock cylinder would be the culprit. That's where I'm at for now I'm sure there's more problems like the dash lights. They still don't work. But thats another day. Time for some football!  :cheers:

sixpack_sid

The ignition switch was bad! Brand new too! Go figure! I have spark now, she'll crank but won't turn over!

nascarxx29

Got power on both sides of the ballast.Distributor in at right time firing order right rotor facing No1 18436572.Spray small shot carb cleaner starting fluid down carb throat and see if it catches
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

sixpack_sid

I figured out that it's the fuel pump. Now I have to wait for the auto parts store to get one for me. I have yet ANOTHER problem! The fuel guage is not working. Is there a way to test the sending unit to make sure that works? I bought the sending unit from the same place I bought the ignition switch that was bad, so I'm not having much faith in the company.
Thanks for the help!

nascarxx29

The gauge has a dark blue feed wire going to tank sender .Remove it from sender and ground it .Gauge should rise up and peg with key on .And fall back with key off.It could be your tank isnt well grounded or bad gauge or IVR instrument voltage regulator .Do your other gauges work the water temp
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

sixpack_sid

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 22, 2011, 10:01:05 PM
The gauge has a dark blue feed wire going to tank sender .Remove it from sender and ground it .Gauge should rise up and peg with key on .And fall back with key off.It could be your tank isnt well grounded or bad gauge or IVR instrument voltage regulator .Do your other gauges work the water temp

I disconnected the blue wire from the sending unit. I put my light tester probe in that end and grounded it. The light tester was blinking and the fuel guage needle went to 1/4 tank, which is about how much is in the tank. If the sending unit was bypassed, shouldn't the fuel guage go to full? Also the ground strap seems a little loose, but again-it is brand new, just like the rest of the fuel system. So after seeing the light blinking, when I crawled out from under the car I heard I tapping noise coming from the coil. The key was still on. When I put the light tester on the neg terminal on the battery and the ground on the coil the tapping got very faint. What's going on??