News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Using "Panel Adhesives"?

Started by b5blue, September 13, 2011, 09:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Searching "panel adhesives" for metal to metal I'm getting lost! SEM, 3M and others all make types and sizes using "guns" of different types and prices. Anyone used this stuff and have recommendations? I have enough patching to do (For now.) to invest in a manual type gun but which system to go with? Eastwood has a set with an adapter and tools included, but the cartridges are really small size. I can get the gun included for free if I go with SEM and get 6 units. Ebay shows a gun and one cartridge shipped for 90 bucks, that would get me started.   :shruggy:

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

mauve66

when i shaved the door handles and all locks i used the 3M and a regular $3 gun from home depot,  on mine i had to plan everything out ahead of time 'cause you don't get forever to use the tube and once its mixed in the nozzle you use it or throw it away
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

elitecustombody

I use 3M,SEM and Fusor, SEM seems to be the best bang for the money

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

DC_1

3M and Fusor for me. Never had a problem.

b5blue

I found the most preferred "online" (Just poking around.) was 3m's 8115 @ 200ml per cartridge. Then I found 3M gun (cheapest) @ 40.00 and cartridges anywhere from 56.00 for 2 (shipped, on eBay.) to 33.00-53.00 ea. with shipping free on orders over 99.00. Any tips or tricks anyone has would be appreciated as I have 0 experience at this point. Having been a steel framer I have lots of clamps and framing screws along with ideas on how to proceed.  :scratchchin: Thanks for input guys! b5   

mauve66

40 bucks for the gun???  just use a chaulking gun from home depot man// 4 bucks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mauve66 on September 16, 2011, 08:05:32 PM
40 bucks for the gun???  just use a chaulking gun from home depot man// 4 bucks

Its a dual cartridge gun though. They have those for 4 bucks? Or have you found a panel bond in a reg. caulk tube?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mauve66

the 3m tubes i used fit perfectly in a caulk gun, i got them from the local paint shop, i think they were 4-5000 psi or something, would have to go back and look again,  only one side of the gun has to fit in the caulk gun as the plunger was a dual action deal for both cartridges
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

b5blue

The dual cartridge system has been around for 20+ years in construction, using epoxy to imbed rebar into concrete for tie ins or slab extensions. The prices for that stuff were insanely high, as were the guns. I always wanted to try it on other things but it was too costly to just experiment with. Fusor and SEM got good reviews also but are working out more costly, less competition around here I guess.   

UFO

Quote from: b5blue on September 14, 2011, 05:36:25 AM
Having been a steel framer I have lots of clamps and framing screws   

How many clamps will depend on how big of a pce your clamping.
This is my first use of this method.Hope it works out.

b5blue

elitecustombody

That's a bit too many clamps^. Make sure the panel fits and lays  flush before applying adhesive and both mating surfaces are ground to bare clean metal

Stefan

UFO

The weight of the panel is not enough to squish the bead of adhesive.
That is a OEM roof off a parts car ,the fitment was real good.

UFO

Or have you found a panel bond in a reg. caulk tube?
[/quote]

This is what I used.
Regular gun,has a mixing tube that screws on.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: UFO on October 10, 2011, 07:37:19 AM

Or have you found a panel bond in a reg. caulk tube?

This is what I used.
Regular gun,has a mixing tube that screws on.

[/quote]

Yep. That one is new to me. Obviously Ive heard of Evercoat,but I didnt know they made panel adhesive.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

Hey! Good find, I like all there other products.  :yesnod: Now to find a vendor. Thanks!

bill440rt

For some reason, I'd be leery of a single part panel adhesive. I could be completely wrong, but something tells me the 2-part adhesive would provide a much stronger bond.

I know Eastwood has been selling a single part adhesive for some time now, perhaps it's that Evercoat stuff just repackaged. The show examples using it to bond small patches only.

For larger panels, stick with a two-part. If you're doing a lot of it, invest in the matching gun.
I've used the 3M adhesives with good results. Just be careful WHERE you're using it. You don't want to use it on an exterior finished seam, or else due to different expansion/contraction properties you WILL see a ghost line. 

A buddy of mine has a SMC cowl hood on his Chev race car, it blew apart while going down the track (top skin separated from the lower bracing). Luckily it survived. I cleaned up the flanges, & bonded it back together with the 3M stuff for SMC. Good as new again, or better, I hope! 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

E5 Charger

The Evercoat Maxim is a two part adhesive. I've used it before. They are separate in the tube and get mixed through a long mixing tube at the top.

elitecustombody

Quote from: E5 Charger on October 11, 2011, 12:05:41 PM
The Evercoat Maxim is a two part adhesive. I've used it before. They are separate in the tube and get mixed through a long mixing tube at the top.

Yep,  :yesnod:

Stefan