News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Charger Oil Pressure LOW

Started by irish_in_ny, August 26, 2011, 04:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_in_ny

Hello everyone, I noticed my oil pressure gauge getting pretty low. Could the problem possibly be that it needs a new oil pump? Any help is appreciated. I'm not a mechanic so wasn't 100% sure on what the problem is. I had the car running for about 15 mins when I took this photo.

RECHRGD

This post should be moved to the engine section of the forum to get more exposure.  But.....Is that reading at idle or at higher rpm's.  It's not uncommon to read low at idle and then normal or higher at speed.  It could be any number of things from a bad sending unit to gas in the oil from running too rich.  Do all the other gauges read properly?  It could be a voltage supply problem to the gauge cluster.  First thing I would do is change the oil and filter, then put a mechanical gauge on it to find out what the pressure really is and go from there.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

irish_in_ny

Sorry about that, I wasn't sure what section to put this in so I posted it here.
This photo was taken at idle, so maybe that is the reason. I don't have plates on the car at the minute otherwise I'd take it out for a run. I've had voltage supply problems before so it could be that. I'll try changing the oil and using the mechanical gauge as you said. Thanks for the reply!  :2thumbs:

RECHRGD

Good luck...It could be nothing.  Just check the basics.  Before you change the oil, smell the dipstick and check the level.  If you smell gas, then you have tuning or other problems to deal with.  The next time you start it, watch the gauge as it warms up.  Cold oil will hold higher pressure until it warms up.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Chryco Psycho

if you have a big block [you didn't say ] you can swap the pump in about 10 mins
I would use a new Melling high pressure replacment

67tbird

If its been sitting for a while sometimes the screen gunks up, I put a can of SeaFoam in my oil, ran it for 500 miles, changed oil, picked up right at 1/8 increase in pressure and the oil looked really nasty 750 mi on it, looked like 5000. Dave

flyinlow

I have a 73 with the stock gauge, 440 ,Melling HV pump. Warmed up it idles at about 3/8's across (50psi on a mechanical gauge) and goes down the road at 5/8's across (75 psi). I would never trust the factory gauge by itself, I have an idiot light too .
The FSM said 8 psi minimum for idle on V 8's.  Conventional wisdom says 10 psi per 1000 rpm as a minimum.
I would suggest you put a KNOWN ACCURATE mechanical gauge on the engine with fresh oil and see what pressure you really have.   :Twocents:

64dartgt

DO NOT put motor flush in.  I am almost certain that is what trashed my engine.  If you are concerned about low pressure have someone drop the pan and clean / replace the oil pickup.  I had them do the pump for good measure...but they neglected to tell me that the knock started after the motor flush (damage was already done).  The engine had 167K on it, but otherwise ran mint.