News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats wrong in this picture?

Started by bajaherbie, September 01, 2011, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

first of all no comments on the fender cover! this summer i bought a 73 charger SE and i'm slowly trying to correct the things that are wrong with it... the alternator sat crooked due to the homemade mounts and spacers. last week i bought a new alternator and a alternator bracket and bolt set from Herbs Parts. well made but the instruction diagram leave a bit to be desired. here is what i had and what it looks like mocked up....

what do i have out of order? i have space  on the long bolt and the pulley don't line up either. i hope i have the correct pulleys on the engine? crank pulley has 4 grooves with the inner two not used with the old brackets(alsoi dont line up with the waterpump pulley). now it looks like the alternator will be lining up with one of the inner belt grooves.  one pic of the fender cover and directions...

randr

Put triangle bracket in front of alternator
I'm Bored! what to do next......

bajaherbie

thats what i kinda thought, but then the long spacer is too short for the distance between the alternator ears?

the alternator came with a long roll pin between the ears that was pressed in one ear. i took it out for the new spacer....

i'll work on it again tomorrow... thanks.

Nacho-RT74

use the original bracket will give you stronger support. it was made originally for AC cars to save when compressor engages from vibrations caused by the traction

the roll pin it was made to be there! selfadjust the position between both spacers when tighten up all the assembly
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

gtx6970

Thats a powermaster alternator isn't it ?

If so, I'll forwarn you know. the belts will not set down in the pulley grooves like they should
I had to dis-asemble the one I have and install an OE pulley set on it

bajaherbie

autozone alternator ::) next summer we're  going to put a/c back in it so i will save the original bracket... and i will reinstall the roll pin. thanks for the help :cheers: