News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help with waking up the 318

Started by 71wrenchhead, August 12, 2011, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71wrenchhead

right now its completely stock 71, all i want is a decent driver, nothing crazy, but still has some power behind it.
ive read a bunch of threads and basically ive come across these as what i need:

obviously a nicer intake, but i dont know what specifically
a 600 or 650 carb (anything more ive heard is too much)
ive come to find out that the 340 cam from comp cams is perfect for what i want ( Part #20-309-4 )
do i get new heads or just stay with the stock ones, i really dont feel like spending loads of cash on modifying other ones unless its definetally worth it
pistons?
crank?
lifters and rockers?
rear end gearing?

any advise will help
just keep in mind, i want this to be a daily driver, im just trying to wake it up a bit for added fun

THANKS
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71wrenchhead

that seems feasible
but im confused, did they mill the block to get to zero deck, or were the pistons they used enough?
also, did they bore out the cylinders? they mentioned something about it, but i couldnt understand what they meant
id like to try and make this as economical as possible, im not planning on drag racing or anything, just want something i can drive on a daily
im thinking i can start with the heads, cam, and pistons that bring it closer to zero
use a 650 or 700 cfm carb
and go from there
if i want more i can always mill the block, increase the carb, so on so forth
does that sound like a decent starting place?
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

Nacho-RT74

there is another article easier to understand what I can't find
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Plumcrazy

If you're not pulling the engine out here's what I would use.

Eddy Performer 600 cfm or Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm carb
Weiand 8007 intake
Comp Cams 20-221-3 camshaft.   The one you listed is NOT what you want.
Freshen the heads up with a valve job, new springs and valve seals
A set of headers with 2 inch dual exhaust
3.23 rear axle ratio.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 13, 2011, 08:50:21 AM

Weiand 8007 intake
Comp Cams 20-221-3 camshaft.   The one you listed is NOT what you want.
3.23 rear axle ratio.

That's an excellent "hop-up" recipe for a stock 318  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

B5charger

I agree with Plumcrazy with his recipe.  Adding my  :Twocents: is not to go any bigger than a 600 for your carb.  I like the Edelbrock performer 600 with the performer intake #2176.  Although I am curious about your cam choice.
:popcrn:

71wrenchhead

that is precisely what i needed, thank you very much!

71wrenchhead

Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 13, 2011, 08:50:21 AM

Weiand 8007 intake
Comp Cams 20-221-3 camshaft.   The one you listed is NOT what you want.
3.23 rear axle ratio.

thank you very much for this nice little list, i do however have the engine out of the car and on a stand, stripped down to the block.
i was just planning on cleaning it up and tossing it back in, but now that i have some direction to beef it up im much happier.

since its out already, is there any other little thing that you might do if you were in my situation?
also, what should i do as far as transmissions go?
should i keep the 904 and just recondition it, or do i go get something new and better able to provide me with the smooth ride im looking for?
thanks again, like i said, im new to all this craziness, it makes it a bit more difficult this being my first resto/mod and all

mopar0166

Ive had great sucess with cam , intake, carb , hei igniion, headers, flex fan , holley fuel pump, 302 heads, and then put decent gears inteh rear , youll have fun in the road

Plumcrazy

Since the engine is out and stripped down, I would take it to a machine shop to get hot tanked.   Also take the crank.

Have them look at the cylinder walls and crank journals and see what they recommend.

71charger

Quote from: B5charger on August 13, 2011, 02:51:36 PM
I agree with Plumcrazy with his recipe.  Adding my  :Twocents: is not to go any bigger than a 600 for your carb.  I like the Edelbrock performer 600 with the performer intake #2176.  Although I am curious about your cam choice.
:popcrn:

I have the same thing on my 71 318. I got a edelbrock performance 600 4 barrel electric/ edelbrock performance intake/ headers with dual exhaust 2 1/2 inch pipes and she opens up just fine!!! I get about 13-16 in the city and about 15-20 on the highway.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

71wrenchhead

ok cool,
i was thinking i would have to do tons more to drag out a little power, but im comming to find out these lil 318s are pretty fun engines
block will be going through tank once i get back home (info note: do not spend more than 2 months away from charger, you will go crazy)

what should i do about the transmission situation. i dont really care if its manual or auto. i was looking into one of those geartronic things (clutchless manual). idk, whatever they are, thoughts?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 71wrenchhead on August 17, 2011, 01:55:36 AM

what should i do about the transmission situation. i dont really care if its manual or auto. i was looking into one of those geartronic things (clutchless manual). idk, whatever they are, thoughts?

How was it working before you took the engine out?

If it's in good shape just have somebody reseal it and add a shift kit.

71charger

What was it stock manual or auto. I'd stay stock
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

71wrenchhead

stock 904
never tried it out, never tried running the engine
gas tank was shot, oil was sludge, thing hadnt run in atleast 10 years
so i just yanked it all and got started on the resto