News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6.1 into my 1971 dodge charger rt

Started by snagm z, July 15, 2011, 08:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snagm z

hey all,
Just wondering what you guys/gals think about doing the engine swap.I'm looking for some constructive pros and cons I picked up a great donor motor this morning. I have mixed signals from everyone in my household. I received second place in my class at Carslie. Car is an original 4 speed, super track pack car. 

steve
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

71_Charger_R/T

Obviously, you can do what you want with your car, but I would keep it all original and find a plain vanilla '71 Charger that wouldn't be as sacrilegious to molest.  :Twocents: 

1968_Charger

i would have to agree on that one. i think finding a plain 318 car would be much better. im sure you could sell yours and buy the 6.1 and a decent shell to start a full out restomod from scratch if thats what you want. selling yours should just about fully fund the build depending on how much you do yourself.   :Twocents:

daveco

I wouldn't tear up anything interesting, or a significant original, but doing the swap in a lesser car sounds pretty cool.
R/Tree

Iron Chef

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on July 15, 2011, 09:51:49 PM
Obviously, you can do what you want with your car, but I would keep it all original and find a plain vanilla '71 Charger that wouldn't be as sacrilegious to molest.  :Twocents: 

Agree with this statement.  I have a '71 Super Bee that I'm considering turning into a Pro Touring car, but there isn't much in the way of significant value with those cars (unless it's all original or has a Hemi or SixPack, which this doesn't have).  Yours however, I'd leave as is.

Just my  :Twocents:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Ghoste

There have been a few people on here who have swapped modern Hemi's into older Chargers now.  As long as the car isn't permanently altered, why not?  Personally I would leave the original drivetrain but there are a lot of good arguments to be made for a swap like this.  Not the least of which would be preserving the original engine.

xpbprox

I have a 71 super bee all numbers matching body, trans(727), engine(383), etc but I'm upgrading all the suspension to a setup from RMS. Though everything can be undone with a few cuts grinds welds and bolts. As far a painting it origional, I haven't decided (I'll be doing something with the super bee included). I say do what you want, it's your car, especially of you plan on keeping it for ever like I plan on.

472 R/T SE

Yeah, those guys' who are taking #'s matching drivetrains & shelving them for Hemis new or old are boneheads.
Some folks complain about the cost, heck, if you have to do it, sell the old stuff to offset the cost.  That old stuff just gets in the way.

These old cars should be left alone though, toothpick tires & all.  I usually switch out the rubber when I'm pulling my car trailer.*

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ghoste

I'd have to disagree with the "shelving the old drivetrain is for boneheads" notion.  I see vintage cars at work every single day and I can tell you that there can be a huge premium paid for having the numbers matching stuff.  A lot of our rides may have formerly been and still seem to many of us as just old cars but they have entered the collectable realm and that isn't going to change.  You may not personally care about current or future value but the next owner may.  And there WILL be a next owner.  Heck look at all the people already trying to locate the original drivetrains for their cars.
If it isn't numbers matching then who cares but if it is, I have to stand firmly with the boneheads who shelve stuff.

71charger_fan

Go for it. I have a 6.1 in my Challenger SRT8 and would love to have that drivetrain in my '71. There is almost nothing that cannot be undone later. If I find the right package, you can bet I'll have a 6.1 or 6.4 in mine. Even if I have to stay in beautiful Pakistan an extra year to pay for it.

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2011, 08:37:20 AM
I'd have to disagree with the "shelving the old drivetrain is for boneheads" notion.  I see vintage cars at work every single day and I can tell you that there can be a huge premium paid for having the numbers matching stuff.  A lot of our rides may have formerly been and still seem to many of us as just old cars but they have entered the collectable realm and that isn't going to change.  You may not personally care about current or future value but the next owner may.  And there WILL be a next owner.  Heck look at all the people already trying to locate the original drivetrains for their cars.
If it isn't numbers matching then who cares but if it is, I have to stand firmly with the boneheads who shelve stuff.
Hear, Hear!  :yesnod: Well spoken! I've even thought of shelving my #s motor to preserve the value (in fear of grenading the original block having fun like I should and do have with the car) but then think "who cares what the value is?......... I'm never selling it. Then I think about my heirs and what the value may mean to them.  Tough decision, but then again I am a bonehead.  :shruggy:

snagm z

When i restored this car i shelved the original block heads housings and everything else but the 4 speed. I knew that there would be the potential for me to blow the original block. i also installed msd on the installed donor motor so i would eliminate most of the risk of twisting the tranny in half.  i appreciate all the posts and respect everyones opinions. THESE CARS ARE ONLY WORTH WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR THEM AT ANY GIVEN TIME. I personally think the money values associated with our cars is starting to make this car hobby less appealing.

A 700 rwhp Arrington 6.1 hemi with a supercharger would be lots of fun no matter what car u put it in. What do u think fun or not?

thanks
steve
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

472 R/T SE

I guess you don't care much or pay attention to my stuff Ghoste.  That's alright though.

* sarcasm alert.

spinny

I think you'd be better off getting another 3rd gen charger and then go for it! Why? Your charger now is too good lookin  ;) I mean heck, the 72 charger i'm restoring now (not my pic there but that is also mine) I got for $300 complete car minus a couple of pieces, rebuilt 318 and 904. Its definitely not hard to find a good one.

If I were to do a hemi swap I would use the fast xfi kit with a few factory efi components still attached. I'm sure a lot will tell you just build a small block and be in the same ballpark of HP/TQ for less but you don't have the cool factory of a new hemi.

Ghoste

My apologies Mike, although my statements woud still be an accurate reflection of my (our) thoughts on the topic, I completely missed the sarcasm in your post. :icon_smile_blackeye: :blush2:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 19, 2011, 09:53:21 PM
I guess you don't care much or pay attention to my stuff Ghoste.  That's alright though.

* sarcasm alert.

Good sarcasm Mike - You fooled me too.  :lol:

Ghoste - We Canucks must have different sarcasm force-fields.... :scratchchin:     ;D

unrulyprocuda

I say you have to do what makes you Happy and not worry what everyone else thinks anything can be changed back it all only costs money.I just installed a 5.7 in my 68 Gtx convertible by the way a clone car that was more rare then a gtx convertible it was a 68 sport sattelite with big block console and buckets b5 blue black interior but like i said i done what i wanted to make me happy.Pros and cons its costly and full of suprises to do a modern swap whether you do it or someone else does it for you.and if your are going for the naturally aspirated version from indy cylinder heads i say dont waste your money you can build a small or big block much cheaper.but like my uncle always said if it was easy everyone would do it thats the great thing about a modern swap is that the expense prevents most people from doing it.when i was all done with mine and i also repainted the engine bay,added new wheels and tires and 13" disc brakes i spent right at 22,000 now keep in mind i performed some of the work and enlisted the experts at spankys rod shop in mena arkansas to do the rest and they are quick and very detailed at what they do. Mark at spankys use to do all the installations for speed and performance so he has all the experience to put a new hemi in anything along with supplying the parts for people to do it at home also just contact mark at spankysrodshop.com with any questions he will love to answer any of them.Well i have had mine done for a year and i wouldnt change anything its been great very reliable and can do 90+mph cruising down the highway and personally i love the new challengers but theres only one blue gtx convertible with a new hemi in it at this moment in time.