News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head talk

Started by poppa, July 23, 2011, 09:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

What are the differences in an open chamber and closed chamber head?
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

justcruisin

the alloy head is closed chamber - eddy. The cast head is open - 346.

justcruisin

Closed chamber

poppa

What makes it open-closed? The valves look like they are in different spots. They must have a slightly different purpose,operation??

Cooter

Open Chamber= IE: Combustion chamber extends all the way out to the outher edge of the cylinder...

Closed Chamber= IE: Combustion Chamber only extends HALF way across cylinder , and is shaped like a "D"...

Smaller chamber, more compression, IE; more power..Valves in same place on production head..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

justcruisin

If you have a look at the edelbrock heads on thier site you will see they offer both open and closed chamber heads. The open version is the same as the closed with the addition of a .100" cut into the chamber which opens up the chamber to an open design, same head, same valve positions. The closed version offers a smaller chamber for greater compression but its biggest advantage in a street pump gas engine is it offers a flat area level with the head surface above the piston so that a tight squeeze can be obtained to help deter detonation.

Budnicks

That was a good explanation...  :2thumbs: :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

poppa

Quote from: Budnicks on July 24, 2011, 02:40:22 PM
That was a good explanation...  :2thumbs: :Twocents:

Agreed,thank you all.