News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger 06 SXT will not shift gears

Started by MoneyMaking, July 20, 2011, 12:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoneyMaking

Hello Car Lovers........I am in need of some help with my DodgeCharger 2006 SXT.

My hubby installed front brakes, spark plugs, and freon to my car.  The car worked fine and even ran smoother afterwards.   Today, while leaving for lunch, I started my car and it started but it would not let me shift the gears.  It would not move.  It feels like it is stuck or broken.  Well a co-worker went outside and took a look at it because he said he had a Chrysler Sebring that did the same thing.  He came back and said he got it to move but it only starts in neutral.  So now, the car will not start while the car is in park.  To get home, I had to put the car in neutral to start it and turn it off in neutral and force it back in park position; which that is hard.

Can any of you guys help a young lady out?  What does this sound like? 

Thanks so much! 

Desperate Dodger......

Ponch ®

A common problem with 06-07 chargers (and 300's / Magnums) is a little plastic piece (infamously known as "the pink thingy") under the shifter that breaks because it's made out of (evidently) weak plastic. When that goes, you cant move the shifter out of the park position. Is that what you mean by "it won't let you shift"?

Here's what Im talking about:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f90/cant-shift-out-park-into-gear-pink-thingy-replacement-234335/
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f90/shifter-problems-fix-73876/

With that said, youre more than likely to get a better answer at www.lxforums.com, since this is mostly dedicated to Classic Chargers. Im on there too, same screenname  ;)
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Rolling_Thunder

yep -  little pinky breaks all the time ---   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip