News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

organic or organic/ceramic clutch disc

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, June 16, 2011, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

looking for opinions on what clutch disc to get.  440 shoukld be pretty good after the rebuild  ;) so i need a new clutch. im going with a mcleod.im just unsure of the disc to get.

werner

I put a ceramic one in with my 5spd. Really grappy. Not much slipping going on. Not real street friendly I find. dont know if I would go ceramic again. Was reccomened by Keisler for Hyd. slave cylinder
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

elacruze

I've just crossed the ~2000 mile mark on my Centerforce dual friction clutch. It's great! The engagement has become butter-smooth, it releases clean and doesn't change any whether cold or hot. Never chatters. Some people say to remove the overcenter spring because the pedal pressure is lighter than stock. I went 1800 miles like that and it was ok, but I have a bad left knee so I re-installed the spring for a test; now the pedal pressure is very light, but no threat of coming up slow or staying on the floor. I couldn't be happier with it.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

dstryr

Here's the McLeod setup in my 6bbl Road Runner.  I have at least 7000-8000 miles on the pressure plate and around 1000 miles on the disc and a new Hays SFI steel flywheel, mostly with the original, stock 440. 
There about 300 miles on the setup with the new engine and it started to slip in 4th gear this past weekend.  Motor is 505", dyno'd 598hp and 650 lb/ft torque.  I will have to call Brewer's or McLeod to talk as they expected this to hold the power.   The disc is no longer listed in their catalog but looks identical to the 600 series disc which is rated to support up to 600hp.

I have really liked this clutch, right up to the point where it didn't hold, and would recommend it for the hp level of my stock motor.
FWIW

360250 12" pressure plate     street p/p
260853 12" disc, 18spline      800 series disc
16061 TO bearing
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Chryco Psycho

My recommendation would be the Kevlar disc , not grabby but will hold max power , past 600 hp you probably want to look at the Street twin setup , twice the surface area & light pedal pressure

70sixpkrt

I talked to Passon Perf about this and they said the only problem with Kevlar on the street is that you will get clutch jatter.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

71bee

I put a one side ceramic, other side natural disk on my Charger 3 years ago. been great for street use.