News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger bucket seat backings:

Started by Captain D, July 10, 2011, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

We recently had our front bucket seats upholstered for my 69' Charger. The seats came out great, but we just had a few questions about the hardboard backings.

Basically, it looks as if the four hooks on the very back of the hardboard simply gets seated to the bucket seat frame as you put two screws up from underneath to help hold it all together in its place. But, when looking where to put the two screws in at on the back of the seat frame, there are no two holes. What is odd is that they're on the hardboard panel, but there are no holes anywhere on the frame itself to mount it to. Although we realize that we can simply just drill two holes and call it done, since there no two holes on the seat frames, we thought it best to check here to see if there's something we're missing or simply going at it the wrong way altogether...

Thanks for any replies, tutorials, info, etc,
Aaron

Brock Lee

Quote from: Captain D on July 10, 2011, 09:50:38 PM
What is odd is that they're on the hardboard panel, but there are no holes anywhere on the frame itself to mount it to.

The hardboard is supposed to have a curved metal piece stapled to the bottom with 2 screw holes that screw into the frame from the very bottom of the seatback. This metal brace gives the hardboard its curved shape.

Good luck getting it to look good, The modern seat covers are thicker than stock and these never look quite right. I will someone would make an altered fiberglass piece.

Something I noticed in some old seats is people would take twine and tie them to each top hook, get the panel in place, start setting it in, then pull on the twine from the bottom and tie it to wire around the lower hooks to keep the back from sagging.

Captain D

Hi there Brock,

You're absolutely right with regards to the "curved metal piece stapled to the bottom with 2 screw holes that screw into the frame from the very bottom of the seat-back."

I have that on the very base of mine, but we couldn't find the two holes in the actual frame, so that's why I thought that maybe I wasn't doing something right from how they did it at the factory. But, now I know that we were doing it right, I'll just simply drill two small holes in the frame piece, but it was just odd that they aren't there to begin with.

I only have one side though, I'll have to search on ebay to see if I can find another one for the repops set that I have here didn't come with the curved metal piece at the bottom.

Thanks again for the info!
Aaron