News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rattle sound

Started by BananaDan, May 21, 2011, 10:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I have an occasional rattle sound on the driver's side of the engine when accelerating.  I noticed it once last fall before I put her away for the winter.  I just took her on her first voyage of the year (~80 miles roundtrip) and I heard it two or three times.  It doesn't seem to happen when starting from a stop, but rather when already moving and I accelerate.  The only way to describe it is it sounds like something is rattling on the left (driver's) side of the engine (engine itself, or just in the engine compartment).  Do I have a loose rocker maybe?  Or could it be a non-engine component like the power steering pump or one of the pulleys?

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bobs66440

Are you running headers or exhaust manifolds. Exhaust manifolds have a heat riser (though it's in the passenger's side) that can sometimes rattle (mine does occasionally). Also, check for anything loose under the hood that may be rattling.

BananaDan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bobs66440

I doubt it's an engine issue. It would most likely be more consistent. I would just check for something loose.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BananaDan

I checked the steering pump, steering box and pulleys, master cylinder, booster, coil, everything seems tight.  I was telling a friend about it at the show today and he said it sounds like it's a ping/detonation.  I guess it could be that.  I never really heard pinging before so I didn't think that's what it would sound like.  I know she needs some more fine tuning. I was just concerned that it could have been something dangerous like a loose rocker or rod banging around.  If you don't think so then I will just keep working on tuning her.  She's also still in her break-in period technically, she only has about 300 miles and about 1.5 cumulative hours of idling on her.  She is still just settling in.

Dan

BigBlockSam

what is your compression ratio?    :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

BananaDan

bobs66440

Hmm, I never thought of pinging. It does sound like that. If you haven't already, try running 91-93 octane in it. If you already are, try retarding the timing a little and see if it goes away. I think initial timing should be 10-12 deg BTDC. Total should be around 35 or so (with vacuum advance disconnected).

BananaDan

Quote from: bobs66440 on May 22, 2011, 04:48:41 PM
Hmm, I never thought of pinging. It does sound like that. If you haven't already, try running 91-93 octane in it. If you already are, try retarding the timing a little and see if it goes away. I think initial timing should be 10-12 deg BTDC. Total should be around 35 or so (with vacuum advance disconnected).

I run Sunoco 93 in her.  I'll try the timing.  I've been meaning to get a timing light and I got that tuning instructional video FireFighter recommended.  It looks like it's about time I get off my ass and do some learnin'.

Dan

BigBlockSam

Quotetry retarding the timing a little and see if it goes away

:yesnod: yep

70charginglizard

sure your exhaust isnt bumping against your steering column? :shruggy:
70charginglizard

mikepmcs

I don't know why I even thought of this when I was reading the thread but for some reason all that kept coming to my mind was a loose motor mount. Don't ask me why, it's just what popped into my head.
Are they new? Are they tight? Is one possibly bad?
Humor me and check those too.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BananaDan

I'll do my best to check them.  They are not my originals, but I got them from a Mopar junkyard that I get a lot of good stuff from.  If one were loose, would I be able to wiggle it with my hand?  I'm curious considering the weight of the engine, how would I check for looseness?

bobs66440

If you put it in drive with the brake on and press on the gas a little, the engine will torque and twist up more than normal. Make sure no-one/nothing is in front of you when you do it   :icon_smile_wink:

firefighter3931

Quote from: BananaDan on May 23, 2011, 02:52:54 PM
  I'm curious considering the weight of the engine, how would I check for looseness?

The factory style mounts are bonded rubber to metal and will sometimes seperate when the engine torques over....this is a problem for the driver side mount. Under load the engine will try to lift and if the mount has seperated or weak ; the driver side of the engine will rise up.

One way to check is to get a floor jack under the oilpan (using a block of wood to protect the oilpan) and gently apply pressure while observing the driver mount. If the rubber seperates then you know the mount is toast.

I allways reinforce the factory driver side mount and it's an easy job :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BananaDan

I wanted to let you guys know this issue was solved, and I now know the rattle sound was pings/detonation.  I didn't know it sounded like that.   :shruggy:

I was at Bill440RT's and he helped/taught me how to retard the timing and we peeled off about 3 1/2*.  It was set at 20*!!!  It's now at about 16.4* or so and running like a champ.

Thanks all!

BigBlockSam

mikepmcs

Love those easy ones that don't cost a dime.  :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Pinging is bad/dangerous/detrimental if left unresolved....

Is that initial timing or all in ?

FBO recommended I set the initial to 18* + 16* vac for total of 34* at idle :shruggy: