News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

10" front brake drum stud removal

Started by koshe, June 09, 2011, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

koshe

10" front brake drum stud removal I have heard horror stories about. They are 1968, and I want to change them out for right hand thread. I am told the old ones need to have some grinding done to pop them out. Any suggestions??

terrible one

Yep you're right, the studs are swedged in there, so you have to grind away the "swedged part" before pressing them out. Ideally you should use a press, but I'm sure plenty of people have used a hammer with no ill effects.

koshe

terrible one

I'm not quite sure so hopefully someone else will chime in, but I think you will have to remove the studs to separate the drum from the hub.

John_Kunkel

There is a cutter special made for removing the swedges.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

koshe

John_Kunkel

A few years ago just about every automotive machine shop/brake shop had one of those cutters, nowdays probably not so many but it's worth making a few phone calls to local shops.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dixiestillalive

My first post (i think), since picking up a '69 in April. Nice to be here. Glad to actually be able to help someone. I just replaced mine. I beat the hell out of the studs, then with no progress I was feeling I was less than a man. then I realized that they were mushroomed on the front side, evidently I beat the studs hard enough to stretch the mushroom end (back and forth both sides) enough to be able to fit a grinder cut wheel (sawzall didn't work so well) in perfectly and cut the heads off and then beat the rest through with a punch. All using a vise to hold it. the hubs were fine and I'm back in business. Just need some shoes, drums, adjusters, anybody?

Iceyone

I pressed some out without doing anything else. They really popped when they came out, probably ruined the drums. Put new RH studs in though for now but wasn't really planning on driving anywhere, as I'm gathering parts for disc brakes. had I known about the swedge, I would have grinded the back sides off first. I would think this could be done with an angle grinder as long as you are careful.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

b5blue

Quote from: dixiestillalive on June 27, 2011, 11:35:10 AM
My first post (i think), since picking up a '69 in April. Nice to be here. Glad to actually be able to help someone. I just replaced mine. I beat the hell out of the studs, then with no progress I was feeling I was less than a man. then I realized that they were mushroomed on the front side, evidently I beat the studs hard enough to stretch the mushroom end (back and forth both sides) enough to be able to fit a grinder cut wheel (sawzall didn't work so well) in perfectly and cut the heads off and then beat the rest through with a punch. All using a vise to hold it. the hubs were fine and I'm back in business. Just need some shoes, drums, adjusters, anybody?

Try "MOPARTS" online last I checked they had all hardware and drums.