News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mod the fuel sender/pickup?

Started by JerseyJoe, April 26, 2011, 09:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyJoe

I had purchased a new 3/8" fuel sender before my engine build went bigger,
    Is there any reason I can't just install a second pickup tube (1/2") in the sender I have?
I've got 1/2" stainless tube, all I think I'll need is a pickup sock, right?

femtnmax

So your taking the existing pick up tube out and replacing it with the 1/2 inch, is that correct?  Should work just fine, and won't need the sock if you have a filter along the way at some point; helps to have a clean gas tank too of course.  Many an older car has the sock removed, just check the fuel filter more often.
Phil

JerseyJoe

Quote from: femtnmax on April 29, 2011, 09:30:47 PM
So your taking the existing pick up tube out and replacing it with the 1/2 inch, is that correct?  Should work just fine, and won't need the sock if you have a filter along the way at some point; helps to have a clean gas tank too of course.  Many an older car has the sock removed, just check the fuel filter more often.

Yep, replacing the 3/8 tube with the 1/2", and I have a fram hpg1 between the tank and the pump. Thanks for the reply  :cheers:

Budnicks

Quote from: JerseyJoe on April 30, 2011, 01:35:46 PM

Yep, replacing the 3/8 tube with the 1/2", and I have a fram hpg1 between the tank and the pump. Thanks for the reply  :cheers:
Another option would be add another 1/2" #8 a/n bulkhead fitting with a stainless tube going into the tank & use the 3/8" factory pick up for a return line remove the sock so there is no restrictions & use a bypass style of fuel regulator they are far better for performance than a dead headed style fuel regulator... just an idea..
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

General 68

I did the same thing except I made new pars for it and only re-used the sender. used AN-10 out (redused to 3/8 hard line after the pump) and AN-8 for the return line.
Overkill maybe, but it sure keeps the fuel and lines cold under the hood.

BSB67

Quote from: Budnicks on August 19, 2011, 01:20:26 PM
Another option would be add another 1/2" #8 a/n bulkhead fitting with a stainless tube going into the tank & use the 3/8" factory pick up for a return line remove the sock so there is no restrictions & use a bypass style of fuel regulator they are far better for performance than a dead headed style fuel regulator... just an idea..

Agreed.  If you think you'll be making enough power for 1/2 line, you should have the return line too.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

oldschool

Quote from: Budnicks on August 19, 2011, 01:20:26 PM

thats how i do all of mine...
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Budnicks

Quote from: General 68 on August 19, 2011, 03:47:43 PM
I did the same thing except I made new pars for it and only re-used the sender. used AN-10 out (redused to 3/8 hard line after the pump) and AN-8 for the return line.
Overkill maybe, but it sure keeps the fuel and lines cold under the hood.
Nice job that's what I was talking about, pretty much..
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks