News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger 500 info

Started by rp23g7, June 15, 2011, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp23g7

Hey guys, looking at a Charger to buy, but I think the guys is lying abouth the car.  Everything I read about a 70 Charger 500 states it has bucket seats and a column shift with a 500 emblem on the grill.

He says his car is a column shift, bench seat, manual brake, ps, ac car with a 318/904 combo and he thinks it has the "small rear end". He also says the grill is missing.

I started asking the typical "mopar" car questions.  Needs new trunk floor.  He doesn't think the vinyl roof is leaking, yeah, how are the pivot seals?  Oh they are gone.  So how's the drivers floor?  Oh there is rust there to.  Oh good,  None of the instruments work? Gee could that be because the pivot seals are leaking?  Hmmm

He wants $9000 for it and won't read me the fender tag, not interested in driving 50 miles to look at a rust bucket.  What should the VIN read or what code on the fender tag denotes a 500?

billschroeder5842

As him for a photo/the grill and the rear window are the give aways.

If you have a bad vibe don't buy it.
Texas Proud!

TK73

"There's nothing to say
Just turn your head and walk away
Oh, walk on by, walk away!
Walk on!
You'll feel her fire, she'll lift you higher
But don't be fooled! Just turn your head and walk away!"

- Black Sabbath
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on June 15, 2011, 08:19:02 PM
As him for a photo/the grill and the rear window are the give aways.

If you have a bad vibe don't buy it.

Hows the grill & rear window a giveaway on a 1970? :scratchchin: :shruggy: On a 1969 maybe ;)  LEON.

BananaDan

Ask him for the VIN, tell him it's for a CarFax report or something if he resists.  Or tell him that your insurance company won't give you a quote w/out it.  If it's a 500, the VIN will start with XP29.  Personally, I wouldn't buy, or drive 50 miles to see a car that the seller won't give at least the VIN let alone the fender tag.

More info:
http://1970chargerregistry.com/Misc/Fender_Tag.html

http://1970chargerregistry.com/production.html

If he will send you a pic of the fender tag, or the codes, you can decode it with this:

http://1970chargerregistry.com/optioncodes.html

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Kern Dog

$9000 for a rusty 318 car? Is THIS what we have come to?
My Charger was originally a 500 model. Buckets, console shifted auto. 318/904/8.25 axle. 4 wheel NON power drum brakes. Power steering. Vinyl top with a rusty trunk floor.

rp23g7

thanks guys, not even going to look at it.